This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, June 20, 2011

Seafood Week

I got an email today that expressed sadness that I was quitting blogging. I'm sorry if I have given you that impression! I've been tired and haven't felt up to writing much lately but I am definitely still here and plan to keep blogging. Thanks for sticking with me during my dry spells!

I have quite a few delicious seafood flex recipes to share, so Seafood Week may run a little long. I'm also still taking requests if you have a recipe you'd like to see made NS-friendly. It would be great if you could link me to a "real" version so I know I'm not confusing it with another dish as well.

Today's recipe was inspired by (bad pun intended) Inspirations magazine from Sobey's. Very light, so it's perfect on a summer day.

Flex Meals (Lunch):



Grilled Scallops with Summer Compote:

4oz Bay scallops, raw
1 tsp basil pesto
1 tsp Garlic Gold
1/4 lemon, zested and juiced
grape tomatoes, cut in half
cucumber, peeled and cut into small chunks
green onion, finely chopped
fresh tarragon, finely chopped (with a piece for garnish)

In a Tupperware, combine the scallops, pesto, Garlic Gold, and half the lemon zest. Close and put it in the fridge for half an hour. In another bowl, put the tomato and cucumber chunks, and add the remaining lemon zest and half the juice, and toss with the green onion and tarragon; place onto your plate. Heat your BBQ (or grill, or in a pinch, a frying pan) to high. Grill scallops for approximately 2 minutes per side or until lightly charred. Spoon them over the tomato/cucumber compote and drizzle with remaining lemon juice, and enjoy!

This serves one and counts as a flex lunch plus a fat serving. You also get to add a carb, and I liked having a Weight Watcher's breadstick with it, which is also great for wiping out your bowl! As prepared, it was 196 calories, 10g carbs, 8g fat, and 20g protein.

The Garlic Gold complemented this meal perfectly with the lemon. I've found that a blend of Garlic Gold and lemon juice also makes a delicious dipping sauce for steamed seafood like lobster tails or grilled shrimp, and it's much more heart healthy and flavourful than using plain melted butter. Definitely give it a try!

Disclosure: I received this product mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. (And I really, really love Garlic Gold and plan to continue writing about their products!)

No comments:

Post a Comment