This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, December 22, 2022

Midweek Update!

 So normally I try to weigh only on Mondays, but I was really curious as to how the buffet would affect me. I tried to eat a sensible portion, and while it was a bit larger than I think I probably should have, it was also a lot smaller than what I normally would have, so I'll count that as a win.

Also, it was just a really nice social occasion, and I could go and enjoy the company and hang out and I could eat as much or as little as I wanted, and it would be OK. And at the end of the day, that's really what matters, right?

Well, I snuck on the scale today and I was gratified to see that I hit a new milestone! I won't put a weight count because I'll save it for Monday, but I was really excited to see Lose It flash me this message!


That's not all on Ozempic but I've worked hard for every one of those pounds, and I'm looking forward to seeing more disappear. Today I thought about it, and I really visualized that this is going to work. I'm going to lose weight and get healthier. I might still hate exercising, but I hate diabetes and the thought of dying more.

I was surprised to see a loss instead of a gain; I figured the high sodium content of what I was eating would probably bloat me a little bit. But sometimes eating a higher calorie meal can give your metabolism a bit of a kick, and I guess that's what happened here. I do have Christmas on the weekend and I'm going to stick to sensible portions but also eat some of the foods I love (hello, stuffing!) and hopefully won't undo my progress too much. Either way though, the holidays are for celebrating, and a week or two won't set me back too far. I think the long term lesson I want to remember is indulging is okay, as long as we're reasonable about it.

That's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of very restrictive diets like keto. I know they work very well for some people, but they definitely don't work for me. I like to follow a plan of everything in moderation, and that works for me and doesn't leave me feeling deprived.

Here's another yummy recipe that I tried from Hellofresh- low calorie, low glycemic index, but high on taste and nutrition!

Turkey & Black Bean Chili:



500g ground turkey
4 tbsp Mexican spice blend
2 limes, juiced and zested (reserve juice and zest separately)
6 tbsp sour cream (or you can swap in Greek yogurt if you like, you won't taste much difference!)
740mL black beans
227g mirepoix (chopped onions, carrots, and celery)
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 red bell peppers, diced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
740mL crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. When it's hot, add turkey, garlic, and mirepoix. I didn't need any oil, but you might want to add just a little bit of water to last until the veggies start releasing some. Add the Mexican seasoning blend. Cook until no pink remains in the turkey, breaking it into smaller pieces, about 4-5 minutes.

Add peppers, (drained and rinsed) black beans, lime juice, crushed tomatoes, and 1 cup of water. Season with pepper as desired (I added red chili pepper for a little kick) and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until chili thickens slightly, approximately 10-12 minutes. As with all chilis, longer is better.

Add the sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt) to a small bowl and mix with lime zest, add black pepper to taste. 

Serve chili with lime crema and sprinkle cheese and green onions on top. 

This serves 5 generous portions and you might end up with leftovers! Each serving is 404 calories, 12g of fat, 37g of carbohydrates, and 32g of protein. It's definitely a great choice for a cold winter night.

No comments:

Post a Comment