This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Cravings Smash!

 Well, even on Ozempic occasionally I see an ad for something that looks delicious. I am definitely a member of the school that believes we shouldn't deny ourselves treats just because we're trying to lose weight, but instead try to find sustainable ways to enjoy the things we crave. That could mean smaller portions less frequently, or it could mean making our own version of the foods we enjoy so they feel like treats, but instead they keep us right on track.

While I do enjoy treats in moderation, I love being able to play with a recipe and make something that will satisfy a craving and still be healthy! So last night I was scrolling my Facebook feed, and one picture caught my eye; the McDonalds Filet-o-Fish. Now I'm not normally a McDonalds fan, but I did like the fish sandwich and for whatever reason, last night I could almost taste it. So, the question was, did I want to buy one? Or did I want to try and make one?

I'm always game for trying to nerf a recipe first!

Copycat McDonalds Filet-o-Fish:


1 low calorie whole wheat hamburger bun 
1 piece of healthier breaded fish
1 slice of light processed cheese
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 tsp lemon juice
optional: lettuce, tomato, red onion

I know the veggies aren't really part of a Filet-o-Fish but in my mind, they make any fish sandwich taste so much better!

Start by mixing the Greek yogurt with the lemon zest, garlic, dill, and lemon juice so that the flavours have time to blend. You won't need all of this for your sandwich but then you'll have leftovers in your fridge in case you want to try this recipe again- or it's good on grilled fish, too!

Bake your fish according to the box instructions. I used President's Choice Blue Menu Scottish Haddock Fillets, which clock in at 210 calories, 6g fat, 23g carbs, and 17g protein for a generously sized piece. It was large enough that it more than filled my bun! Then layer your bun with the cheese slice, fish, veggies, and spread the top side of the bun with your dill sauce. Enjoy! Not only did I find this less greasy and much more filling than a Filet-o-Fish, but it's lower calorie and higher protein, too! Compare my copycat sandwich (which is almost 50% larger!)  at 379 calories, 8.5g fat, 50g carbs, and 27g protein, with McDonalds much smaller sandwich that has 410 calories, 20g fat, 39g carbs, and 18g protein. I'd rather have more food and higher protein for less calories and fat!

That being said- if you wanted a treat once in a while, there are worse things you could choose than a Filet-o-Fish. But if you have the time? This copycat recipe wins, hands down (and is probably a lot less likely to upset your stomach!).

No comments:

Post a Comment