This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

What Did I Eat Yesterday?

 Well, I've got a great new recipe to share with you and I thought I'd write a bit more about what I'm eating on a daily basis, since there always seems to be lots of discussion about that.

My best advice is to find what works for you, and go with it! For example, I hate drinking calories. It has always felt like a waste to me. So I will never choose a protein shake when I could have actual food instead. Some people love the convenience and that's great too. What is more important is finding a way of eating that makes you feel satiated, not deprived, and is sustainable for you. Don't try to copy someone else's eating style if it doesn't feel right to you!

Here is another day in the life of Susie!

Breakfast:


1 ripe banana, sliced into coins
1 vanilla PC Greek yogurt cup
1/2 package Nutrisystem granola (substitute 1/3 cup of your favourite protein granola)

This always feels like a decadent treat for me. I like the mix of textures and I do have a major sweet tooth. The Greek yogurt gives this the protein I need for satiety and the protein granola helps prevent blood sugar spikes. It's important to always eat your carbs with protein for this reason. I also do still follow the glycemic index- this is one of the important lessons I learned when I was on the Nutrisystem plan. Now that I'm diabetic, this is even more important for my health and not just weight loss. If you're not familiar with the glycemic index, I'll be adding some more content for Ozempic users at my Tips for Newbies page soon!

Breakfast Summary: 345 calories, 3g of fat, 68g carbs, 16g protein.

Lunch: 


I really like the Tim Hortons soup at home line. I've always been a sucker for creamy soups and this line is surprisingly low calorie and fat for the flavour. I can eat a whole can without blowing my calorie budget. It's also really nice on a cold day. With my soup I made myself a sandwich on Weight Watcher's whole wheat bread with honey mustard, a slice of cheddar cheese, and some deli sliced ham. If you have a panini press, you can make it a grilled ham and cheese without the extra butter needed to pan fry!

Lunch Summary: 456 calories, 16g fat, 60g carbs, 18g protein.


Afternoon Snack:


Since I had a big lunch, I only wanted to have a small snack today. I really like the Sargento Balanced Breaks and how they're already preportioned. Yes, you could definitely make your own snacks if you buy bulk bags of almond and dried fruit and cut your own cheese, and if you choose to do that, more power to you! But sometimes it's nice just to have a quick grabbable snack available, and thanks to preservatives, these last a while in the fridge!

Snack Summary: 190 calories, 13g fat, 12g carbs, 7g protein


Dinner: Moroccan Shrimp with Couscous


285g shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tbsp harissa spice blend
160g Roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup dry couscous
50g shallots, diced
160g sweet bell pepper, diced
200g zucchini, cut into half moons
100mL plain Greek yogurt
1 sprig fresh cilantro
1 tbsp vegetable broth liquid concentrate (or substitute your favourite powder equivalent, or liquid broth with no water added)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 tsp sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced

You're going to love this one- tastes zesty and fancy, very filling, and ultra low calorie! 
 
Start by making your yogurt sauce so it has time for the flavours to blend. In a small bowl, mix your yogurt, the chopped cilantro, 2 tbsp of water, and the sugar. Add a little salt and pepper to taste and stir well. Set aside.

If you have a rice cooker, it's the easiest way to leave the couscous to set and forget. Follow the ratio instructions for water to "rice", and add the broth concentrate or your broth substitute (don't add water if you use premade stock!). If you don't have a rice cooker, take a medium pot and add 1/2 cup of water and your broth concentrate and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat, stir in the couscous, cover and set aside.

Drain and rinse your shrimp and pat them dry with a paper towel. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add 1 tsp oil once it's hot. Cook until the shrimp just turn pink, 2-3 min, then set aside and keep covered so they stay warm. 

Bring the pan heat up to medium-high, and add the remaining tsp of oil. Add the garlic, shallots, peppers, tomatoes, and harissa spice blend. Cook, stirring often, 4-5 minutes. When tender, add zucchini and cook until it is tender-crisp, 2-3 minutes. Stir in shrimp.

Divide couscous between plates, top with veggies and shrimp, and drizzle the herby yogurt dressing over top. Serves two.

Dinner Summary: 254 calories, 5g fat, 78g carbs, 38g protein.


Dessert:


Not all desserts have to be sweet! I like to eat later in the evening since I have dinner fairly early, and again, it's important to make sure that you have a protein as well even if you do choose a sweet snack. Many low calorie treats don't have protein and then you might find that your blood sugar spikes and you get hungry again.

That wasn't a problem for today though, when I decided to have a high protein late night snack anyway!

It's easy to make deviled eggs lighter- just use reduced fat or fat free mayo. Eggs are one place I don't recommend swapping Greek yogurt for mayo- while it works in a lot of places, I find it tastes terrible with eggs so I stick with lower calorie mayo for this one. For every 3 eggs, I use 1 tbsp of light mayonnaise. Then add your favourite seasonings and garnish! I like to add chopped onion, black pepper, and smoked paprika to mine.

There's still room left in the day to eat three whole eggs cut in half, so six deviled eggs for evening snack!

Dessert Summary: 255 calories, 18g fat, 4g carbs, 18g protein.

Daily Total: 1500 calories, 52g fat, 222g carbs, 97g protein.

I definitely don't feel deprived eating like this- nor am I hungry! Hope this helped give you some ideas! What did you eat today?

No comments:

Post a Comment