This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Still here!

I haven't written in a few days but things have been pretty busy on the home front. My son is getting so interactive and playful! He's four months old and full of wonder. I have to share, yesterday he rolled over for the first time! I'm one proud mama.

I'm starting to run out of new breakfasts and desserts to review, since I pretty much only ordered a few things that I thought I'd like. Here's what I've had the past few days:

Chicken Pasta Parmesan (Dinner)


This was pretty good! Noodles, chicken, and cheese in a zesty tomato sauce. I love having my pasta dishes with Caesar salad and a slice of garlic bread. Despite the small serving of main course, it's pretty hard to feel deprived when you have all that to eat!

Nacho Crisps (Dessert)


I'm not really a salty snacks person but they got to choose the items I'd get for my free week, and this was one of the things they put in my box. They are actually pretty good. They are thicker than regular tortilla chips but they have a satisfying crunch and made a great snack.

Black Bean Tortilla Soup (Lunch)


My only question about this was, where on earth are the tortillas? If they just called it black bean soup, there'd be no question it was what it said. To put it simply, if you like bean soup, you'll like this. Beans are generally low fat and high fibre so they probably didn't change a regular bean soup that much. I must admit I was wishing for a dollop of sour cream, some tortilla chips, and cheese to eat with it though. I might sneak a little fat free sour cream on top next time but I guess I'll have to skip the rest.

Chicken with Dumplings (Dinner)


This tasted like good old fashioned comfort food. It's hard to be unhappy with a dish full of chicken chunks and little dumplings in a thick gravy. I was using my slice of bread to mop out every drop!

Homestyle Chicken Noodles with Gravy (dinner)


This disappointed me, not because of the taste, but again because of the description. I was expecting something similar to the chicken and dumplings but with noodles instead. What I actually got was basically chicken noodle soup. If it had been marked chicken noodle soup, I would have known what to expect (and probably wouldn't have ordered 3 of them). I really like sauces and gravies, so thin stock just didn't do it for me. I'm going to save them for when I'm not feeling great and would normally be wanting chicken noodle soup and I think I'll enjoy them a lot more then.

Honestly, after nearly two weeks, I don't have too much to complain about. I can see myself eventually getting bored with the limited menu (especially since Canadians get even less choice than Americans!) but Dan suggested I just set up a 2 week rotation where I don't eat things more often than once every two weeks. That really isn't so bad and I think I can manage that. I'll have to have some of my favourites more often though! In general, the food is pretty good, although some of the dishes could use a little more flavour. On the plus side, spices like black pepper and chilies are all permitted so I can jazz them up myself.

My elliptical machine and I are becoming buddies again, so hopefully I'll have another good number on the scale this week. My plan is to exercise at least 3 days a week and so far I've been doing that.

No real urges to cheat yet... not even for pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment