This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, June 14, 2010

Getting excited again

Sometimes I think all it takes to get re-energized about weight loss is a new recipe or two! One of the things that really sucks about a lifestyle change is not being able to eat the food you love (which got you to where you needed the lifestyle change!). The best part about Nutrisystem is that I'm learning ways to adapt those old meals into things that are healthy and still delicious! I mean, who would have thought that cheesecake was doable on a weight loss program?

I've got a review and a few new meal ideas to share today.


Chicken with Dumplings (Dinner):


Boy, what a disappointment this was! I knew when I saw the shape of the box that it wasn't the same as the one on the Canadian plan that I reviewed earlier, but I was hoping it would at least taste similar. *buzz* Sorry, you lose. The gravy is runny and it just doesn't have that rich flavour I loved in the original entree. Now, the new one does have 7 grams of fat fewer and is lower in calories too, but I'd rather have the other meal anyway.


Pancake Mix (Breakfast):


I made another version of the Blueberry Ricotta Danish with plain pancake mix and cherries and it was still delicious! I think this is a great base to play around with, with different fruit filling and dried fruit in the mix.


I also used the Pancake Mix for breakfast this morning. I got the idea from looking on the NS boards for other savory breakfast ideas, since I think the Egg Frittata is gross. So I tried this and it was amazing!

Cheesy Egg and Bacon Biscuits:


1 pkg NS Pancake Mix
1/3 cup milk
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 oz shredded cheese
1 tbsp bacon bits
2 tbsp Egg Beaters

Mix together everything except the Egg Beaters (and maybe save a little cheese too) and pour the batter into sprayed muffin cups. Top each muffin with 1/2 tbsp of Egg Beaters and any remaining cheese. Bake at 350 until the tops are crispy and eat while they're hot!

This breakfast was SO filling and delicious. I think I am going to have it again tomorrow! You could also try subbing ham or veggie sausage for the bacon if you prefer.


Chicken Pasta Parmesan (Dinner):


I like this entree as-is, but I was craving a cheesy flavour tonight and didn't want to overdo the cheese since I'd had those yummy breakfast biscuits already today. I sauteed a little spinach and onion in a pan with garlic, and dumped the Chicken Pasta Parmesan over top. I stirred in 1 tbsp of Ultra Low Fat Philadelphia cream cheese and let it simmer until it was bubbling. This was so creamy and delicious! I might add some mushrooms and tomatoes next time, too.

10 comments:

  1. Fay says...
    You are so creative with your recipes! I wish I had that talent. I ordered a pancake mix with my next order to try those biscuits. They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the cheesy bacon biscuits this morning - Yum ! Great recipe. I do get tired sometimes of all the sweet stuff. Savory was nice. Thanks! - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that does sound so good (cheesy pancake and chicken parm). Too bad I only got the blueberry pancakes in my first order or this would be my breakfast tomorrow! I am going to make the chicken parm tonight though for my first nutrisystem din din!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie, I tried the bacon egg and cheese biscuits this morning and they were delish! My husband and I each had a batch, so I was able to do one batch with bacon and the other with turkey sausage so we could each have variety. The sausage ones were better than the bacon, so you should definitely give that a try. They had more flavor and bulk, with only 1/4 c. of sausage across 4 biscuits. Jimmy Dean is the man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Braineater- thanks for the advice! I can't get Jimmy Dean sausages here but I do have some Lilydale turkey links- I'll try that!

    Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there I have truly enjoyed all your posts. I have tried your recipes thanks you so much!!! Quick question? What type of cheese are you using for the cheesy egg and bacon biscuits? thanks again!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Anonymous 7:09- I am glad to hear you are enjoying my recipes, please do comment back and let me know how you have liked them!

    I use Kraft Light Tex Mex Shredded Cheese. I found I was always shredding cheese and I don't have as much time as I used to so I just buy the bags of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks!!! I am super excited to try the cheesy egg biscuits!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susie, I tried another variation on this recently. I subbed buttermilk for FF milk, and the biscuits were richer and denser as a result. Because of that, the egg substitute doesn't sink into the batter to create pockets of egg in the biscuit, but instead, it creates an eggy crust on top. Absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will have to try that next time- thanks!

    ReplyDelete