This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Isn't it boring?

I was talking to an acquaintance yesterday who insisted that programs like Nutrisystem must be boring because you just eat the same old thing out of the box every day.

I've got some new recipes to share- anyone bored yet? :)


Rotini with Meatballs and Tomato Sauce (Dinner):


I would normally add cottage cheese to this entree to make it more like a lazy lasagna, but I decided to do a version of the recipe I used with the Chicken Pasta Parmesan. I sauteed chopped spinach, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, and tomatoes in a pan with garlic, and then dumped the entree over the top. I added 2 tbsp of fat free cream cheese (I wanted a little more since I added so many veggies) and let it simmer until blended. It was delicious!

Count this as your dinner entrée + veggies + 1 extra for the cream cheese (up to 35 calories' worth).

Nutrichocolates (Dessert):


I was a little nervous about these when I opened the package- they looked terrible. The chocolate looked old and dried out and I was regretting my decision to order a few for messing around with. Then I stuck them in the microwave for 30 seconds and was pleasantly surprised by what I saw!



They melted perfectly and tasted great. I cut the ends off some strawberries and rolled them around in the dish of melted chocolate and put them on a plate to harden.



They were absolutely delicious, although I confess that I wanted very much to have a glass of champagne with them. I managed to avoid that temptation. My only suggestion is that when you put them down to dry, put them on wax paper or something so that you aren't looking at a plate with melted chocolate globs stuck to it and trying to figure out how to get them off to eat them!

Count this as your Nutrisystem Snack plus one extra for the strawberries (you don't need a full SC serving, 35 calories of strawberries is a lot!).

Red Beans & Rice with Sausage (Lunch):


I love zesty Cajun food, and this entree seemed perfect for tweaking.

Spicy Cajun Gumbo (Lunch/Dinner):

1 pkg NS Red Beans & Rice with Sausage
1 cup sodium free chicken broth
3/4 cup sodium free diced tomatoes
chopped green pepper, green onion, Spanish onion
1.5 oz diced shrimp
1.5 oz chopped chicken
chili spice, black pepper, red pepper flakes, Old Bay Seafood Seasoning to taste

I just threw everything in a pot and let it simmer together. It made an enormous serving that I had a hard time finishing. This counts as lunch + protein + veggies. If you get an extra carb at lunch time, I'd add 1/3 cup of wild rice as well. You could also lower the shrimp and chicken to 1oz each and add an oz of turkey sausage, too!

This meal was definitely full of flavour and I really enjoyed it!

Count this as your Nutrisystem Lunch entrée plus 1 Powerfuel (or a dinner entrée) plus veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment