This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Being sick sucks

I took my son to a kids' indoor playground, and of course since he's ten months old, he put everything into his mouth. I suppose it shouldn't have come as much of a surprise that a few days later, he came down with a nasty cough and a runny nose. Unfortunately, my husband and I have both caught it as well so I haven't felt much like posting lately.

I've also been off plan- frankly, I've been eating whatever sounds good because I've been too tired to do much preparation in the way of veggies or to go shopping. I've been eating a lot of Campbell's soup, which while tasty, is very low in protein and I can see why it's not good to eat on Nutrisystem. It started triggering the desire for sweets for me immediately after eating, which was the way I was in the past. I couldn't handle eating sweets when I feel this crappy but I did eat a lot of bread which I am sure didn't help.

I was happy to see that I still managed to lose 0.6lb despite feeling too lousy to exercise and eating poorly. It's frustrating to be a fifth of a pound away from my next Nutribear but hopefully I will achieve it next week! I am trying hard to be back on track and as soon as I don't feel so weak I'll be back on the elliptical again.

I have a great flex lunch to share with you- I had it today and it was so delicious!

Flex Meals (Lunch):



I got this great idea from All You Need is Cheese magazine, which my husband loves and I usually avoid because the average recipe has about 800 calories and 30g of fat, but I was surprised and delighted to find this was NS friendly!

Scandinavian Grilled Cheese Sandwich:

1 or 2 slices of pumpernickel bread
1 oz Havarti cheese (I used herbed Havarti)
fresh dill weed, chopped
3oz smoked salmon

Spray a skillet with PAM and preheat. Assemble the sandwich and pan fry until cheese is gooey, turning at the halfway point.

Yum! I was lucky enough to get my salmon from the farmer's market, so instead of that thin processed stuff you get at the store, I got a real salmon fillet that had been smoked. It was delicious! If you have an extra carb serving, go for it and have your sandwich on 2 slices of bread. If not, just cut your bread in half and heap the fillings higher! Lunch entrees get a fat serving so if you want you could brush the bread with olive oil although it's not necessary. I preferred to use cheese with some fat in it instead- it melts and tastes better. This was a really tasty and filling lunch! I might add some chopped green onions to it next time.

2 comments:

  1. Fay says . . .

    Sorry to hear you all feel so poorly. I hope you feel better soon.

    Good for you for losing even though you feel crappy and haven't been eating well. You obviously didn't do too badly.

    Does low protein trigger cravings too? I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fay- they apparently do for me! I haven't had these kind of cravings the whole time I was on NS so I know it was related to something I ate while I was off plan. I don't like it- I am much happier eating NS friendly!

    ReplyDelete