This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Fatigue, Health, & Triggers

So I know I haven't been writing much lately, but I'm still here! I've been having some health problems recently and I've just been too tired to write. My chronic conditions have been flaring up and I an exhausted all the time.

Fatigue is also one of my triggers for craving high calorie and fat foods, so I've been trying to watch that lately. Having Nutrisystem entrees around really helps because I can tell myself that I can have a yummy meal faster than if I ordered takeout. The only issue is that I am often too tired to make any of my recipes or do jazzing up- so those are the times I generally choose frozen meals so that I can just heat and eat. The shelf stable entrees are so much easier to "cook" with, and I believe I can make much tastier meals out of them than just doing heat and eat, but that still requires energy that I don't have some days.

So I'm well aware that my health problems are a big part of why I regained my weight. I had maintained a 110lb weight loss for over six years, which is long enough to make me believe that I'll be able to make it last this time if I'm more careful. Over 90% of dieters regain their weight within 5 years, so at least I was past that. It points to the truism that we have to be mindful that we are making permanent changes if we want our weight loss to stick; if we revert back into our old habits and patterns, eventually we will regain the weight. Finding that balance is important! It's unrealistic to say that you'll never drink alcohol or enjoy your favourite foods again. Life isn't about deprivation. But it's also important to develop healthier habits so that when we reach goal and start to maintain, that we beat those statistics!

I find that mindfulness really is one of the best ways to help myself become a better person, not only with my relationship to food, but in general. Before I make a choice, I examine it- is it really what I want? Is it helpful to my goals? And sure, sometimes I want that chocolate martini and I'm okay with that. But most of the time? I'd rather keep the big picture in sight.

I have some great flex recipes I will try to write up to share with you soon, especially since Valentine's Day is coming! We don't have to blow the calorie budget just to enjoy a special evening with someone we love. Don't forget to look up some of my dessert recipes- I have some great ones using the Chocolate Lovers Cake Mug Mix (although they're listed under the tag with the old name, Microwave Chocolate Cake). Try my Black Forest Cake, or my Chocolate Lava Cake, they're both delicious and a great sweet treat.

I'll try to get back to posting recipes and reviews soon! Right now I'm just so close to my next milestone of 70lbs lost, and I can't wait to share that with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment