This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Saturday, February 26, 2011

More Dairy/Protein Ideas...

Continuing my comments from yesterday, dairy/protein servings are definitely the easiest way to adapt your program to your needs. You can pretty much have ANYTHING you want, as long as it fits into the stats of 100 calories or less, 3g of fat or less, and 7g of protein or more. Here are a couple of ideas that I really enjoy.

Dairy/Protein Ideas:



Here's one of my favourite breakfast accompaniments on a hungry day!

Smoked Salmon Omelette:

1/2 cup Eggbeaters
2oz smoked salmon
1 tbsp fat free Herb & Garlic cream cheese
green onions, chopped

It took me a lot of practice to make a pretty omelette, but the secret is not to turn it too quickly. When you think it's ready, lift up the edges just a little and let the liquid drip down underneath and then set it down again. There should be very little liquid on the top when it's actually ready to turn. Then allow it to cook a little and spread the cream cheese across half the omelette before folding it shut and scooping it onto your plate. Delicious! This counts as one dairy/protein serving and one free food. Change it up a little by using cubed ham and asparagus instead of salmon and green onions (and 20 calories' worth of shredded cheese instead of cream cheese) or increase the Eggbeaters to 3/4 cup and just have a plain veggie omelette if you prefer. This is a great and protein packed side for your breakfast!


I'll confess that for the longest time I was afraid of trying a product I had sitting in my cabinet. Usually I'm the first to try new things, but fake peanut butter? I didn't know... I'm glad I finally gave it a try, though!

Peanut Butter Apples:



1 apple, peeled and cored, cut into slices
4 tbsp PB2
2 tbsp water

It's that simple. Mix your PB2 with the water, smear it on the apples, and enjoy! 4 tbsp of PB2 counts as a dairy/protein serving and it's actually quite a lot of peanut butter. Since we only get 1 tsp as a fat serving, it was really nice to have gobs of it on my apple slices! PB2 doesn't quite have the rich flavour of real peanut butter, but with less than a quarter of the calories and fat, this is a swap you aren't going to regret making. I order mine from www.netrition.com and I'm going to have to get more since my husband wanted to share my snack!

So go ahead- get creative with your add ins. What do you like to use for your dairy/protein servings?

Disclosure: This post was written by me and was not edited by anyone. The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own and have not been influenced in any way. Nutrisystem Canada is providing their food and program to me free of charge for my weekly updates. I was not compensated for writing this post.

6 comments:

  1. I love peanut butter apples! Yum!

    (I am a new follower, I hope you have time to stop by www.mooseandtater.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My add in suggestion is bananas on the pancakes and with peanut butter. MMMM! Or a banana sandwich - its filled with protein and potassium and is simply gorgeous on a high fibre seed cob/roll/bap! Try it. We had very little to go around when we were kids and these cheap but super nutritious sangas worked a treat. They're so filling too. Takes hours until you need anything else.

    Anyway - just popped by to say a big thank you for stopping by and for a linking up on my weekend creation blog hop at wordsinsync.blogspot.com.

    Shah .X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipes. I am amazed at your weight loss. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for a blog! Thanks for sharing it - I'm a new follower from the Sunday Stroll. Come and join us for our first blog hop today and tomorrow - Menu Monday Mingle - and share one of your recipe posts! http://thekidcancook.blogspot.com/2011/02/join-us-for-our-first-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this combo! Following from the blog hop and hope you can visit and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious! I'll admit, as a busy mom of two, I don't eat nearly as healthily as I should. It's just too easy to throw a frozen something in the microwave! I will be back often for tips on eating better :) New follower from Say Hi Sunday, stop by my blog when you have a minute :)
    http://mommyspeanutgallery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete