This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Non Scale Victory!

I was planning to share some more recipes with you today, but first I need you to help me celebrate a very exciting moment today.

I had a pair of jeans sitting in my closet from 2006- haven't worn them since. They're low rise and the smallest pants I own. Last night I threw in a load of laundry but somehow my usual black jeans failed to get in the washer and I couldn't wear them again without washing them because they were covered with my son's dinner from last night. We had plans to go out to dinner for a mystery shop, so I had to find something to wear!

I now weigh less than I have in longer than I remember, however my body has changed after having a baby, so I've been afraid to try on these pants. I didn't really have any other options today, though! So I decided to pull them out- I told myself the worst that could happen would be that I'd need to exercise harder.

And you know what's coming- THEY FIT! And comfortably so- it's not like I was struggling to zip them up. I am just over the moon. I can't wait until these "skinny" jeans become my fat jeans!

I've got some more great appetizers for your Super Bowl party- enjoy (in moderation)!

Dairy/Protein Ideas:



Cheesy Mozzerella Sticks:

2 light mozzerella string cheese sticks (50 calories each), cut in half
1 tbsp Egg Beaters
1 tbsp seasoned breadcrumbs

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Dip the cheese stick pieces into the Egg Beaters and then into the breadcrumbs. Bake for ten minutes or until they are cheesy and gooey. Serve immediately with salsa or your favourite FF dipping sauce.

These are AWESOME and taste exactly like the real thing! I highly recommend trying them for an afternoon snack. Count them as a dairy/protein and a free food.


Here's an appetizer platter I made at a recent party- it's not all Nutrisystem friendly but it's definitely lower calorie than the "original" versions.



You can see my Jalapeno Poppers at the bottom of the platter... next look at two of my favourites: Breaded Chicken Fingers and Faux Fried Shrimp.

Breaded Chicken Fingers & Faux Fried Shrimp:

1 pkg Nutrisystem Grilled Chicken Breast (or your own chicken breast, cut into strips)
large cocktail shrimp, tails on
Egg Beaters
seasoned bread crumbs

The Nutrisystem Grilled Chicken Breast really isn't a great choice for this recipe because the chicken flakes easily with a fork and is difficult to cut into strips- I'd recommend using your own. I didn't specify quantities otherwise because it depends how many people you want to serve.

Just like with the cheese sticks, dip the chicken strips and shrimp into the Egg Beaters and then into the breadcrumbs. Bake the chicken strips in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. I like the shrimp best either fried in 1 tsp olive oil per serving, or in PAM Olive Oil spray.

If you want to count this as a dairy/protein serving, you can use up to 100 calories of chicken or shrimp, and count the Egg Beaters and breadcrumbs as a free food. You can also choose to make this a dinner entree by using 3 lean protein servings (that would be 3oz of chicken or 6oz of shrimp), ~80 calories of breadcrumbs (so a thicker breading) as your low GI carb, and 2 tsp of olive oil to fry them in. You still need to add your 3 veggie servings to make it a complete dinner.

The last item really isn't great for Nutrisystem but your guests will probably enjoy it!

Pizza Rolls:

wonton wrappers
turkey pepperoni
shredded mozzerella cheese
pizza sauce
your favourite veggies, diced small

Squirt a little pizza sauce into each wrapper and add pepperoni, veggies, and cheese. Fold the wrappers tightly and tuck in the edges to make an egg roll shape. Heat olive oil in a pan- enough to cover the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot, place the pizza rolls in a single layer in the pan. Turn when the wrapper starts to crisp up. When they are cooked on all sides, serve immediately.

Unfortunately, these really don't do well when baked or faux fried- they just don't have the same flavour and the wonton wrappers don't crisp up properly. As a result, these use too much oil to be eaten on Nutrisystem. I recommend serving these to your guests and sticking to the on plan snacks like chicken fingers and mozzerella sticks! And of course don't forget to put out a platter of fresh veggies and dip!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats, that's great about your skinny jeans! I definitely have some of those in my closet that I'm hoping to get back into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on the jeans! I hope to be there soon someday myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. woohoo about your pants. I just cleaned out my closet and was able to fit into a smaller pair. I still have smaller clothes that don't fit yet i can't wait to say bye bye to all my "fat" pants.

    oh and thanks for the mozzarella sticks recipe. mmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you on the blog hop! Hop over and visit if you can
    http://wedemeyerfamily.blogspot.com/

    This looks like a great blog, can't wait to read more and get some great recipes too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATS!!! Im on a diet too and I love your recipes! Definitely gonnna keep coming back!


    I'm following you from Fun Follow Friday! I hope you can stop by and do the same!

    Mommy Misc...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you on new friend friday & I am sure glad I did! Congrats on all your weight loss!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the exact same moment this morning
    ! I had both my pairs in jeans in the washer and my mom called needing help moving her tv so I dug in the bottom of my drawer and thought what the hell maybe some of these old jeans will fit....and they did! They aren't my "skinny" jeans but they are definatly a size smaller then the ones I've been wearing. I usually can't tell that I've lost weight but that really solidified it for me! Congrats on your victory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had the mozzerella sticks today while everyone else was enjoying their super bowl food. They were delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete