This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

New recipes and reviews!

I'm finally getting around to trying those NS entrees that are sitting in the back of my cupboard because I'm afraid I won't enjoy them. I guess I've been hoping I'll taste them via osmosis? I'll try to post at least one new item a week if I can get myself to eat them! I've been enjoying the other entrees I have so much that I haven't really needed to mix it up. But who knows- maybe like the trail mix bar, one of these mystery meals will become my new favourite!

Southwest Style Chicken Wrap (Dinner):



Well, it's not going to be this one. It's not that I found the meal bad, per se- it just wasn't really to my taste. It also felt like a smaller portion than the BBQ Pork Wrap or the Buffalo Chicken Wrap, for some reason. Either way- I really like those but didn't really care for this so I won't be ordering it again. It's heavy on beans and corn and didn't really feel like there was much chicken in it.


I got this recipe off the NS boards, and I was dubious at first but pleasantly surprised!

Cinnamon Bun (Breakfast):



Cobblestone Cake:

1 pkg NS Cinnamon Bun, cut into tiny pieces (try to save icing pieces for on top!)
1/2 cup Egg Beaters
cinnamon, Splenda to taste

Spray a small dish with PAM spray and place the pieces of bun inside it. Mix the cinnamon, Splenda, and Egg Beaters together. Pour the Egg Beater mixture over top of the bun pieces, ensuring that all pieces are covered. Put a piece of Saran Wrap over the bowl and put it in the fridge overnight to allow liquid to soak into the bun. In the morning, bake it for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees, and enjoy!

When I took that bowl out of the fridge and saw the bun fragments were still swimming in a soup of egg, I figured this was going to be nasty. I mean, I was picturing cooked egg fragments adhering to the bun pieces, which doesn't really sound appealing. Much to my surprise, the entree did "stick together" and had morphed into a yummy smelling and tasting cake by the time it was done! I am going to try this again in the future for sure.


Pancake Mix (Breakfast):



Apple Cinnamon Cake:

1 pkg NS Pancake Mix
1/4 cup plain Greek Yogurt
2 tbsp Egg Beaters
2 tbsp milk
1 small apple, cored and cut into very small pieces (save one whole ring to decorate top of cake)
1/2 tsp vanilla
cinnamon, Splenda to taste
crushed walnuts (optional, fat serving)

Spray a cooking dish with PAM and preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Mix everything together in a bowl and pour into dish. Top with the apple ring and sprinkle with a little more cinnamon if desired. When cool, drizzle with Da Vinci Caramel Syrup if desired, but it's wonderful plain!

I've been experimenting with substituting Greek yogurt for milk in these pancake recipes because it has SO much more protein than milk and I find them much more filling. It does change the taste slightly but I like the flavour- some of you may not. But definitely give it a try to see if you like it. I wasn't able to eliminate the milk entirely because then the batter is too thick, but this was a much denser, richer cake made this way. Altogether, the milk, Egg Beaters, and yogurt only counted 80 calories and you're allowed up to 150 for your breakfast dairy (since you get 1/2 dairy extra with pancakes) so you can still have something else if you want to- I bet you'll be too full to need it though!

3 comments:

  1. I was checking out the Apple Cinnamon Cake. How many minutes do you bake it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry- I didn't realize I'd forgotten to include it! I think about 20-25 minutes was the right time but keep an eye on it. If you add apple sauce then increase the cooking time slightly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if you see responses to this anymore. But this recipe is amazing! I use hungry jack high protein pancake mix and 2packets of splenda. So delicious!!! Huge breakfast and only 285 cal and 20 g of protein the way I make it. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete