This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, May 6, 2019

Breakfast Boost

If you've been reading back in my Recipes page (remember the blog features display better in web view- too much is lost via mobile until I learn how to build apps!), you'll see that I love filling breakfasts. I'm a big believer in the adage that eating breakfast provides a solid foundation to your day. If you start the day feeling full and positive, you're much less likely to cheat, and much more likely to be motivated to stay on track. Diet? What diet?

I used to love the old Nutrisystem Pancake Mix for making breakfast sandwiches, but sadly it's been discontinued (I've been experimenting with Kodiak and Flourish and a couple of other mixes though, and I'll update you when I have a good substitute!). But I was eyeing those Buttermilk Waffles in my freezer and thinking they might be fun to play around with.

I'll admit that I kind of gave myself the sideeye for ordering any; after all, Eggo Fibre Plus waffles are cheap and easy to obtain, have similar nutritional stats, and come in a variety of flavours. In addition, for some reason I can't fathom, Nutrisystem has made the Buttermilk Waffles one of their items that does not go on sale during the big a la carte sales, so they're nearly always regular price of $3.25 USD. Since I can buy an entire box of Eggos on sale for $1.50 CDN when they're on sale with a coupon, this seems like an awful splurge. But I did want to at least try them once! If you have the Uniquely Yours auto delivery plan, you can get them at the same price as any other entrée. One of the convenient things of auto delivery, along with making sure you don't have to remember to order your meals, is that every entrée is interchangeable within your order. You don't have to worry about which entrees go on sale and which don't, or if you want to splurge on the more expensive ones. Just pick what you like, and it's all one price. If you're looking to save money though, like most of us are, the most frugal way to order your frozen meals from Nutrisystem is to put all the items which are normally excluded from sales into your auto delivery, then order additional food a la carte when the sale reaches 50%- then you get the best of both worlds. Don't forget you can use your Costco gift cards to pay for your a la carte order, too, as well as using Ebates to get 7.5% cash back on a la carte or your first auto delivery order!

But, I digress- back to breakfast!

Buttermilk Waffles (Frozen Breakfast):



As soon as I took these out of the package, the aroma of vanilla struck me. Those waffles smelled amazing! I dropped them into the toaster and started to work on the rest of my breakfast sandwich.

I don't always like to have a morning snack- much of the time, I prefer simply to have a larger breakfast. Because of my health issues, I frequently have a shorter day than your average person, so it works for me to condense the meals into fewer sittings. And yes, I'm still losing! You can see my ticker on the top of the page!

So for the breakfast sandwich, I fried an egg in some Pam spray, then topped it with two slices of Ready Crisp bacon, and then melted a slice of FF processed cheese on top. While I'm not the biggest fan of processed cheese, it works so well on egg sandwiches!

If you're in a hurry and need breakfast in seconds, you're still in luck. Burnbrae Farms makes an egg patty that fits perfectly on the waffles and fits Powerfuel stats.



They also make crustless quiches with vegetables and such added, at various amounts of calories. They're all delicious and it's something I keep in my freezer for days when I don't have time to cook my own egg.

The Ready Crisp bacon is also a timesaver- it's real pork bacon and tastes greasy and fatty just like the real thing- but it's only 30 calories per slice. It takes 10 seconds in the microwave to cook! You could have 3 slices for one PF with 90 calories and 6g protein, but I prefer to combine it with a slice of FF cheese and have only 2 slices of bacon for my second PF. Yes, it's totally fine and on program to put two foods together to make up one add in, as long as it meets all the requirements!



The breakdown for this delicious but easy sandwich with a whopping 21g of protein is one Nutrisystem breakfast entrée, one Powerfuel for the egg patty, and I use up my morning snack Powerfuel for the cheese and bacon. I like the flavour much better than either of Nutrisystem's breakfast sandwiches, and it doesn't have to take any longer to make.

What's your favourite way to eat the waffles?

No comments:

Post a Comment