This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Sunday, May 12, 2019

Spring Entertaining

If you're someone like me who enjoys entertaining and having dinner parties, being on Nutrisystem can sometimes feel a little frustrating. Eating is such a social activity and there's something really nice about cooking and serving a meal that your guests will enjoy.

We can still do that! It just takes a little more planning to make it fit.

Today we invited family over for a Mother's Day BBQ, and I made one of my favourite healthy side dishes. No one would know it's low calorie because it's so full of flavour- it gets loads of requests. I've written about my Macaroni Salad before, but here it is again repeated for your convenience with a breakdown to fit the new program stats.

Please note that the picture is an enormous 8 serving bowl that I made for the BBQ and the recipe is for 2 servings. However, the portion is so large because of all the vegetables, you may only want a 1/2 portion!

Macaroni Salad (SmartCarb):



160 calories' worth of your favourite pasta, cooked (I used Catelli Smart bowtie pasta this time)
1 cup dry broccoli slaw
3 egg whites, hard boiled, diced
1 tbsp sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped sweet peppers
2 tbsp chopped red onion
3 tbsp fat free mayonnaise
2 tbsp spicy Dijon mustard
2 tsp white vinegar
black pepper to taste

Prepare the pasta according to directions and set aside until cooled. Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, and pepper until blended and set aside. Add the macaroni to the vegetables and stir in the egg whites and relish. Pour in dressing and toss to coat. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving. 

As prepared, this has 131 calories, 2g of fat, 22g of carbohydrates, and 8g of protein per (large) serving. You can count this as as SmartCarb plus free veggies (more than 11 calories are from veggies so it still fits just fine as a SC only, no need to count an extra), or double the egg white and use it as a very filling afternoon snack (1 Powerfuel + 1 SmartCarb) .
You might like it on the side with a piece of grilled chicken or fish as a flex meal (enjoy something like my Lobster Stuffed Mushrooms). 

Happy BBQing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment