This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Friday, May 3, 2019

Choosing Your Add ins

So, if you're just starting the program, choosing your add ins might be a little confusing, especially if you thought that you were ordering the program so that you wouldn't have to prepare your own food! I remember being surprised the first time I joined Nutrisystem that I'd have to add some of my own food.

Keep in mind that the program wouldn't be as healthy if we were eating all processed foods. Adding our own fruits, vegetables, and dairy servings helps keep this diet balanced and nutritious. It's just important to figure out the right way to do your add ins so that you're following the program correctly and getting the most out of it!

So, if you're new, start by reading my Tips for Newbies page, and then let's start figuring out how to plan your add ins!

When you are trying to determine if a food is a Smartcarb or a Powerfuel, before we look at anything else, we have to see if it fits on the program. Nutrisystem is a program based on the glycemic index, so for something to qualify for a Smartcarb serving, it must FIRST be a low glycemic carb before you go on to see if the stats fit. Ultra processed foods with refined flour aren't going to be low glycemic. This is why they call them Smartcarbs- not every carbohydrate is smart!

They also actually need to BE a carbohydrate serving. Just because something has a gram of fiber doesn't mean it's a Smartcarb. Avocado, for example, is an extremely nutritious food, and it has fiber. So can we use it as a Smartcarb? Unfortunately not. It has nearly no carbohydrates. Avocado is a fat. Since Nutrisystem no longer has fat servings on the plan, the only way we can fit it into the plan is to use it as an extra. 35 calories' worth or 1/8 of a medium avocado is an extra. I've also seen some protein shakes that have a gram of fiber, but almost no carbohydrates. Remember before you check the stats to ask yourself, is this a serving of carbohydrates? If not, it's not a Smartcarb. If it is, then you have to determine if it's low glycemic. If not, then again, it's not a Smartcarb. Only if it is both, then do you go on to apply the test of whether it's 80-120 calories with a minimum of 1g of fiber.

Same with Powerfuel servings... if they are really high in fat, even if they fit the stats, they very likely don't fit in the way the program is intended. Follow the grocery guide- it will lead you in the right direction. There's a reason that things are listed in the categories they are in, even if they fit more than one. Your bread, for example, isn't a Powerfuel, even if it has protein. When considering if an item is a Powerfuel, first it needs to be a lean protein serving. If it's not, then it's not a Powerfuel even if it meets the calorie and protein requirements.

To understand the importance of these requirements, here's an example for you. I saw someone post the other day that they eat Reese's peanut butter cups for their afternoon snack, which is 1 Powerfuel + 1 Smartcarb.



If we're just running the stats, boy, this looks like a good choice, doesn't it? A flex snack is between 160-240 calories, 1g fiber, and 5g protein. But I don't think anyone could justify that this fits on the Nutrisystem program. Would you have a quick answer if I asked you why, or is it just a gut reaction? It's not healthy, and the Nutrisystem meals (even the ones that look and taste like candy!) are healthy. They follow the glycemic index and don't spike your blood sugar the way this junk food would. Nutrisystem snacks are supposed to be mini meals that provide nutrients, healthy protein and carbohydrates.

Remember to decide if the item is even compliant with the program before you go on to check the calorie count! First see if they even fit the category you're trying to put them in before you check the stats. Nutrisystem isn't a calorie counting program, so you can't eat just anything and say it fits the calorie count. It needs to follow the nature of the program, too.

I think you'll find that your weight loss will speed up, and you will be more satisfied and less hungry if you ensure that the items you're using for your add ins are the right kinds of foods.


6 comments:

  1. The grocery guide is great to download for NS Users to keep on hand. I have mine hanging on the fridge. I lost 50lbs on NS. I have maintained it now for over 3 years. Feel free to visit my blog and read my journey. I am also one of the success stories too. It’s been a fun journey.
    Lisa
    Http://www.lifeawayfromtheofficechair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa, thanks for your comment! Way to go on continuing to maintain! I will check out your blog too. OK if I add you to my blogroll?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. LCannon, thanks for sticking with me for so long! I feel really motivated this time to take off the weight and keep it up.

      Delete
  3. Great information. Always appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific info. We can make any info fit into the box if we want to 😁

    ReplyDelete