This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Friday, November 18, 2022

Mid Week Check-in!

 So this week, I injected my 0.25mg dose into my thigh. I was curious to find if it was different than week one, where I injected into my stomach. While I didn't really have any side effects this week and very minimal last week, I found so far that I felt that the medication worked better when I injected it into my stomach, and I plan to return to that. 

While I still found myself getting full sooner, I didn't "notice" the medication as much and I had to pay closer attention to finding the right stopping point while I'm eating. At least at the beginning of my Ozempic journey, I do like feeling that very clear signal when I should stop eating, because I feel like that will help me learn that point on my own.

I have been wondering for a while now if what I think of as "full" is actually what a person without food issues would think of as "stuffed". Because if I was eating something delicious, of course I'd want to keep eating it until I was full. I mean, it was delicious, right? I don't think I was able to enjoy the portion I had without at least thinking wistfully of more, if I still had "room". This week, I bought myself a Lindt white chocolate bar with caramelized almonds. It had ten squares, each square being 90 calories. Before Ozempic, I probably would have polished off at least half the bar at once, possibly the whole thing. I mean, who eats a chocolate bar in servings? This week, I ate one square in little bites, enjoyed every bite, and didn't feel the need to eat a second square; I got the pleasure and enjoyment without the push to eat more of it. That feeling is amazing, and that's what I think will help keep the weight off long term; if I learn to enjoy food without craving more. I hope my time on Ozempic will help with that.

I've read a lot of posts about people no longer being able to enjoy certain foods, and I haven't experienced any of that to date. I'm not eating large portions of anything (and I'm counting calories so I know exactly how much I'm eating), but I've had lots of things that could be considered treats. One day I had homemade pizza, and I used to eat 3-4 slices. On Ozempic, I had one slice and wanted a second one but figured two would be too much so I asked for a half slice and found that I actually only wanted another couple of bites and didn't finish the half slice. I've had a very small bowl of ice cream (1/4 cup). I've had chocolate, wine, melted cheese... no negative reactions thankfully. So don't assume that you'll have to give up or stop eating your favourite foods, because so far, I haven't.

On Friday last week, I noticed the medication wearing off a bit in the sense of appetite control, and I did find myself hungrier on the weekends. Last week I was around 1500 calories on the weekend and closer to 1100-1200 during the week. Since calorie cycling can be a good thing for your metabolism, I didn't really worry about it.

Looking forward to stepping on the scale on Monday- I've committed to only weighing myself once a week so that I don't fuss about the perfectly normal up and down fluctuations. Hopefully I continue to have good results, but if nothing else, this new pattern of eating smaller meals more often is likely much better for my blood sugar and hopefully will teach me healthier patterns, and that's a win regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment