This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Still Dislike Exercise!

 I have to admit that I'm envious of people who feel good when they exercise and enjoy getting their sweat on. Here I am, sitting at my computer over a year into my exercise journey and I still had to make myself go change into my gym clothes and listen to my brain whine "I don't wanna go!"

So I said to myself, OK, you don't have to go. No one is making you go. So underneath all that whining was recognition that I did in fact, want to go. I just apparently also wanted to whine about it!

Just like the food we choose every day; no one is sitting there policing every bite that goes into our mouths. No one is forcing us to go to the gym and exercise. Thankfully! Can you imagine how horrible that would be?? At some point though, it has to be important enough to ourselves to make generally good decisions. That doesn't mean eating only grilled chicken salads or exercising for hours every day, because that can be just as disordered as living on fast food and never getting off the sofa. But finding a balance that works for us is the key to making this sustainable.

So I still have to leave space for those acknowledgements that I don't love going to the gym and getting sweaty. That sometimes I'll get endorphins and feel positive about my workouts, but a lot of the times (like today!) I don't. I do it anyway because it's self care, and that's something I've been woefully short on lately.

It's okay not to enjoy exercise. There's loads of advice out there to find something you do like, but it's possible there won't be anything that you actually find fun. It's okay to do it anyway even if it's not fun. You don't have to love it to tough it out and do it anyway. That doesn't mean it's wrong for you just because you don't like it.

Grab your gym shoes, give your body a little love, and do it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment