This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, September 19, 2011

Getting Cold Out...

It seemed like now that the kids are back to school, Mother Nature really wanted to make it clear that summer is over! We had quite a cold snap recently and that made me start craving soups.

Quite a while ago I saw this recipe on the Nutrisystem boards but never got around to trying it myself. If you enjoy rich flavour, you will really enjoy this one! I found it to be a delicious lunch.

Potato Leek Soup:



1 pkg NS Cheesy Homestyle Potatoes
1 leek, diced into little pieces
1 clove garlic, minced (or Gourmet Garden garlic paste)
1 can low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup fat free milk
1 cup cauliflower florets, diced small
1 green onion, diced
1 tbsp bacon bits
2 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
pepper to taste

Steam cauliflower until tender. In a medium sauce pan, saute leeks and garlic in PAM spray on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add a few Tbsp. of water when they to start to brown to keep the leeks from sticking and to steam them. Reduce heat to low and add chicken broth and milk, then add NS potatoes and stir to blend. Add pepper, cauliflower, and bacon bits. Simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring often to ensure the potatoes are entirely mixed in and hydrated. Serve in a large soup bowl and top with shredded cheddar and green onions.

Count this as one lunch entree, plus 2 veggies, 1 dairy/protein serving, and a free food. If you have an extra carb serving, I'd suggest boiling a medium red potato and dicing it into chunks to add a little more body to the soup- but if not it is fine as is!

3 comments:

  1. That potato leek soup sounds delish! I can't wait to make it. I also have been on a very accelerated path to health and wellness. I've become a follower of your site to share what you've learned. Here is my blog link to a specific entry I did on digestive health. I hope you like it. I have several other blogs also. Take care!

    http://carrieryman.blogspot.com/2011/09/tummy-trouble-solved.html

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you on Twitter or Facebook? I'd like to follow there if so. thx!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heidi,

    I'm in process of setting something up on Facebook. I'm not really a Twitter fan. Thanks though, I will update here when I get a FB page!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete