This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sometimes, You Just Gotta Have It!

My overriding philosophy behind my success in this lifestyle change has been to deprive myself nothing that I crave; rather, to instead find a substitute item that would satisfy my cravings.

Before I started Nutrisystem, I was a French fry-aholic. I loved their crispness and of course, I loved ketchup and gravy or whatever else you could top them with. Most of the time, I'm happy with one of my French fry substitutes like my Cajun Fries. This week, in my box of produce from the Neighborhood Share Association, I got a big bag of potatoes, so I decided to find a healthy way to make the real thing.

Potatoes really do get a bad rap. They are low calorie and fat, but they are simple carbs and as a rule generally not low glycemic index, so they cause blood sugar spikes. NS Dietary Services says that as an occasional treat, you may substitute a medium red potato as a carb serving, so when you make these, enjoy them as an occasional treat.

Pizza Pizza makes truly awesome potato wedges, but these have a fraction of the calories and fat and have lots of flavour!


Garlic Herb Potato Wedges:




4 medium red potatoes
4 tsp Garlic Gold Oil
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp thyme

Cut each potato (unpeeled!) in half lengthwise, and then cut each half into 4 wedges lengthwise. In a Tupperware container, add the oil and spices, and then the wedges. Shake well until the wedges are evenly coated with spices and oil. Bake them at 425 degrees for 25 minutes or until they are crispy. Before serving, sprinkle them with Garlic Gold Sea Salt Nuggets and enjoy!

These are a great and healthy substitute for French fries, and one serving counts as a carb + a fat. My suggestion is to save a carb from earlier in the day (have your chicken or tuna salad without bread) and have this on the side with a hamburger for a fast-food fix!

Disclosure: I received this product mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. (And I really, really love Garlic Gold and plan to continue writing about their products!)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Susie!
    It's been over 5months or so that I've read your posts. First of all I want to congratulate you on being that much more closer to your goal!!!! Keep up the amazing work!!!! And thank u for being an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete