This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Side Dishes

Well, it's still BBQ season, and I'm always on the lookout for yummy side dishes to enjoy with my Nutrisystem hamburger patty. If you read back in my posts about it, you'll see that my first reaction was, what is this gross thing? Then I tasted it and it actually wasn't bad. Now it makes up a big percentage of my auto delivery along with pizza!

But again, while I enjoy salad, I prefer to have something that tastes a little more, well, not diet when I'm having something like a hamburger. Here are two recipes that might become your new favourite side dishes- they are mine!


Vegetable Ideas:


Macaroni Salad:

2 carb servings of pasta (each ~80 calories, 15g of carbs)
1 cup dry broccoli slaw
3 egg whites, hard boiled, diced
1 tbsp sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
2 tbsp chopped onion
3 tbsp fat free mayonnaise
2 tbsp spicy Dijon mustard
2 tsp white vinegar
black pepper to taste

Prepare the pasta according to directions and set aside until cooled. Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, and pepper until blended and set aside. Add the macaroni to the vegetables and stir in the egg whites and relish. Pour in dressing and toss to coat. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Makes 2 large servings (you could get away with using 1/2 carb if you made 4 servings).

Yes, this is worth giving up a carb serving for! You might like it on the side with a piece of grilled chicken (since it's weird eating a burger without the bun) but otherwise you can choose a lunch item and skip the carb, or flex a meal (enjoy something like my Lobster Stuffed Mushrooms) and save the carb for later. It does not taste diet and I plan on bringing it to BBQs in the future.


Cajun Fries:


1 large butternut squash
2 tsp olive oil
salt, pepper, paprika, and chili powder to taste

Peel the squash and either use a French fry slicer gadget (saves a lot of time!) or cut the squash into fry-like sticks. Pour them into a bowl and toss with olive oil and the spices. I like them quite spicy so I use a lot (well, easy on the salt). You can also use cayenne pepper instead of chili powder if you like. Bake them at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes, depending how thick you cut your fries. Broil them for the last 5 minutes until they are crisp. If you don't have a French fry pan, you'll need to turn them at the halfway point. Serve them with whatever you like on your fries. Tonight I used Ranch dip- fat free sour cream with a little Hidden Valley ranch powder mixed in- yummy!

The squash is so mild tasting that with the spices, it really can pass for French fries. I still enjoy my zucchini fries recipe but squash is much closer to the "real thing". This recipe is a winner!

So enjoy the rest of your BBQs this summer and don't miss out on your favourite side dishes- they don't have to be off limits anymore!

8 comments:

  1. I'm Susie's husband -- I just wanted to add that the pasta salad was very tasty and the squash fries were really fantastic! I recommend both these side dishes. You won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your weight loss. I read a little of your blog, and just wanted to say something encouraging. What you've accomplished so far is amazing. :) Keep going. You are inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your blog, I truly enjoy reading all of your entries. I will definitely give Cajun Fries a try because I am making myself sick by eating the same fries that come with fast food combos. I will make them and let you know soon.

    In an unrelated note, yesterday I had pizza from Pizza Hut and it made my stomach sick, my boyfriend thinks there was too much fat in pizza. No more PH for me.

    Thanks and hang in there, you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm anxious to try these. My DH loves fries and is missing them badly. Whether I can get him to try squash ones is debatable, but I will enjoy them greatly!

    Lots of your recipes look great. i'm going to be trying the nutrichocolate/rice crispie bars now that my order finally came. I just couldn't throw the RK out, but had no desire to eat them as cereal again!

    Thanks loads and continued success on your journey!
    Threadfool (on NS)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Threadfool- tell him they are husband approved :) Mine commented on this post as well and he does not follow NS and hates diet stuff. I also served these at a party on the weekend and they were devoured.

    Tell him to try them with a little BBQ sauce or hot sauce if he doesn't like the idea of ranch sauce- they are SO good that I plan on making them at least once a week!

    Please comment and let me know how you like those recipes- I'd love some feedback especially on the rice crispy chocolate bar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love squash so I am totally going to have to make these when i have my NS burger for the first time! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susie, I just found your blog and so happy I did ! The breakfast bowl, and the KFC bowl so easy and so genius ! I will try the rice crispy chocolate bar at christmas ! Oh and I will try for the prize and would like the pan..
    Thanks
    lenora

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lenora- I'm glad you're enjoying my recipes!

    I'm afraid that giveaway has ended though (and you would have had to post on that thread anyway), but keep checking back for more!

    ReplyDelete