This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Flex away!

I weighed in this morning and I was down another 2lbs! I didn't make it to 60lbs this week but I knew it was a very ambitious goal so I would likely fall short. I'm always happy when I lose two pounds a week! Hopefully I'll be earning my new Nutribear next week.

I've been doing a lot of flexing lately- not only is it good "practice" for when I finish the program and go into maintenance, but it's cheaper since your food lasts longer! Yes, I pay for my Nutrisystem food just like any customer does- unlike other bloggers, I am sharing my journey because I want to, not because I am being paid to do so.

It also really helps me to be accountable to all my readers- the last thing I want to do is pig out and have to come here and confess it to you all! So thank you for reading and your comments- you help me and hopefully I am helping you. One day I do hope to be selected to be one of the weight loss models for Nutrisystem and tell my story. I would love to be able to help inspire people to lose weight and get healthy.

Here are some flex meals I've tried lately and really enjoyed!


Flex Meals:


Chicken Quesadilla:


1 or 2 whole wheat tortillas
3oz grilled chicken breast (or 1 pkg Nutrisystem Grilled Chicken Breast)
1/4 cup red enchilada sauce
1 oz shredded tex mex cheese
diced tomatoes, onions, green pepper
sour cream & salsa to garnish

Cook the chicken in a frying pan sprayed with PAM until done, then cut into strips. Add the vegetables and enchilada sauce and cook until sauce has reduced and veggies are tender. In a clean sprayed pan, place tortilla shell and fill with chicken and veggies, top with cheese. If using one shell, fold over- if using two, place second tortilla on top. Cook until bottom shell is crunchy and carefully flip over. Serve hot with salsa and sour cream.

Yum! I was trying to figure out how to give this a zesty Mexican kick and then I found the leftover enchilada sauce from my last Mexican lasagna. I'm glad I tried it- it was delicious.

I said one or two tortillas because it depends how many calories they have and if you have an extra carb serving available. I have seen tortillas as low as 50 calories- in that case, you can use 2 to count as one carb serving. The ones I get are 90 calories so I'm only entitled to one for a flex dinner, so I eat a lunch like the chicken salad and save the carb for later so I can have two. You can definitely enjoy it with just one, you'll just have gooey filling leaking out which isn't all that bad!


Apple Pork Chops:


I made these for my husband- he had no idea they were NS friendly (well, if he ate less rice anyway)! This would be a great meal when you have to cook for company.

4 3oz pork loin chops
4 tsp butter or olive oil
4 tsp flour
1 tbsp Splenda brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened apple juice
4 large apple rings
cinnamon to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a hot pan, then add pork chops and cook both sides until chops are lightly brown and juicy. Set aside in a baking dish. Add flour and brown sugar to the pan with the pork juices and stir to mix. Slowly pour in the apple juice and simmer to create a thick sauce. Place one apple ring on each pork chop and spoon the sauce over top. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. Bake chops for 45 minutes and enjoy with a low GI carb serving and veggies.


Orange Beef:


This recipe is pretty labour intensive but I thought it was worth it- colourful, low calorie, and flavourful.

6oz inside round steak, fat trimmed and cut into cubes
1 1/2 large oranges
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
diced red and green bell peppers (I also added purple, yellow, and orange for colour)
diced Spanish onion
diced green onions
shredded bok choy
4 tsp olive oil

Place the beef cubes in a bowl with the soy sauce and allow to marinade- set aside. Somehow, hopefully without swearing or throwing your meal at the wall, manage to grate 1 tsp of orange zest and set it into a small dish. Take the half orange and squeeze it to make at least 2 tbsp of fresh juice. Add it to the bowl with the zest and add the chopped ginger. Remove all the white bits of peel from the remaining orange and cut the sections into little half moons and set them aside. Try to prevent other people in the house from eating them until you need them! Heat a pan and warm the olive oil. Spoon the chunks of beef (pour the soy sauce into the orange juice mixture) into the pan and cook until they are browning. Add the soy/orange sauce to the pan and cook until the liquid is reduced. Add the bell peppers and Spanish onion to the pan and cover until the veggies are tender. Add the bok choy, green onions, and orange segments and cover for just a minute or two until the new additions are tender but not soggy. Serve with a low GI carb and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment