This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What keeps you motivated?

We all know it's not easy to lose weight. There's temptation everywhere you look. And if you happen to be in a situation where your partner is not doing a weight loss plan and likes to eat everything in sight, it can be difficult at times (especially if you're expected to cook for him/her!). So what kinds of things work for you to keep yourself on track?

For me, one of my biggest motivators is my Fridge Tracker.


Maybe it's silly, but I'm on my third card right now (some other NS'ers were kind enough to give me theirs since they weren't using them) and just watching the weight come off week by week is so motivating for me. I can really see the progress! Plus, it's on the fridge. Every time I walk through the kitchen I see it, and it's enough to combat whatever craving I have. Why would I want to throw away my progress for a snack? It's just not worth it.

What also helps me is maintaining a larger "inventory" of Nutrisystem foods so that I always have lots of whatever I like. The first month I tried Nutrisystem, by the last week I was down to a few odds and ends that I'd been avoiding and didn't really want to eat. When you're faced with food that you don't want to eat, you're more likely to make excuses not to eat it and to go off program. I bought some extra food off of Kijijji, Craigslist, and eBay (always check expiry dates if you do this! People will swear it's fresh when it's years expired!) and now I know I'll always have whatever NS meal I'm craving available.

And of course, reminding myself why I'm doing this really helps. Yes, I want to look good in a swimsuit, but I also want to get healthy so that I'll be here for my son. I don't want to be the fat mom and make him feel ashamed of me, and I certainly don't want him to develop the bad habits that got me where I was seven months ago.

We are all doing this journey for different reasons, but the bottom line is that we're all becoming healthier, stronger people day by day. Every time you turn down something you're craving, you're a winner. Every time you make the decision to exercise and do it, you're a winner. And the prize is something money can't buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment