This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

New recipes and reviews!

OK, back to the interesting stuff for a while! I've got quite a few new recipes and reviews to share since they didn't really fit in with the Salad Free Week theme. Enjoy!

Peanut Butter Granola Bar (Breakfast):



Yeah, I kind of knew when I opened the package that I wasn't really going to enjoy this. It looked just like the Apple Granola Bar that I threw out. It also had no real peanut buttery taste at all- just more of a heavy taste. I did eat it because it wasn't bad- it just wasn't good, either. In hindsight, I should have smeared my fat serving of 1 tsp peanut butter on top of it and I bet it would have tasted a lot better but I didn't think of it at the time. I think this could definitely have been improved if Nutrisystem put chopped peanuts in it instead of just "flavour"!


Pancake Mix (Breakfast):



I got this recipe off the NS forums and it sounded so good but I just didn't find that the taste was what I expected. I'm willing to give it a second try though because it sounds so good! I am thinking that the eggs and cheese might be better on the side.

Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast Bowl:

1 pkg Nutrisystem Pancake Mix
1/2 dairy/protein serving sausage (I use Lilydale Turkey Sausage)
1/2 cup Egg Beaters
1 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup McCormick's Sausage Gravy

Prepare your sausage as directed and cut into chunks, set aside. Mix the pancake mix and milk and pour into a sprayed casserole dish. Pour half the gravy on top, then add the sausage, egg, and cheese. Top with remaining gravy and bake for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees.


I've got one more pancake mix recipe that's so good, the whole family enjoyed it!

Sweet Potato Bran Bread:


1 pkg Nutrisystem Pancake Mix
2 tbsp wheat bran
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tbsp Splenda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp milk
1 small jar pureed sweet potatoes

Mix all ingredients together and bake in a greased loaf pan at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until done- very simple!

When I saw this recipe idea, I thought of how my ten month old son loves sweet potatoes so I decided to modify the recipe to make it for him. I used organic whole grain pancake mix instead of the NS mix and real sugar instead of Splenda, as well as butter to grease the pan instead of spray. He loved it! I did bake it in a casserole dish but I think next time I will use a loaf pan. This might be good with shredded zucchini as well.


Cheesy Homestyle Potatoes:


I decided to make a recipe similar to my Crab Cakes but baking them in the oven to get more of a twice baked potato feel.

Baked Crab Florets

1 pkg NS Cheesy Homestyle Potatoes
4oz crabmeat, drained (100 calories or less)
diced green onion
1 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
Old Bay seafood seasoning

Prepared the potatoes as directed, with slightly less water to keep them thick. Stir in the other ingredients and put them in a fun shaped silicone baking dish (I used roses). Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until the edges are starting to brown, and serve with seafood sauce.

Yum! I think I'd let these crisp up a little more next time but I really enjoyed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment