This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mmm... Lasagna...

When I was a kid, I used to joke that I wanted to be Garfield because I loved lasagna so much. Before NS, I used to make delicious lasagnas- of course they were full of meat and dripping with cheese, so obviously not all that healthy! And to be perfectly honest, while Nutrisystem's lasagna is OK, it just doesn't satisfy the way that mine used to.

When I thought about it, the big kicker was the pasta. One serving of lasagna noodles has over 300 calories and 80 grams of carbs, but if you use less, it's not really a lasagna anymore. I needed something flat and noodle-y as a substitute.

Well, after my success with the Eggplant Rollatini, I thought that strips of eggplant might be a suitable substitute. I gave it a try and it was delicious! The best part is, it does not have a low GI carb or fat serving so you can have a slice of garlic bread to go with it!

Flex Meals (Dinner):



Eggplant Lasagna:

6 thin slices of eggplant, peeled
8oz extra lean ground beef
10 tbsp ricotta cheese (or 1 cup cottage cheese)
2 oz shredded cheese (I like the Kraft Italiano blend for this)
diced veggies (onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, green pepper, whatever you like)
1.5 cups low sodium tomato sauce

Spray the eggplant slices with PAM and bake them in the oven for ten minutes. Allow to cool. In the meantime, fry the ground beef and drain as much fat as possible from the pan. Add the veggies and saute until softened. Pour in the sauce and simmer until bubbling. Lay two eggplant "noodles" in the bottom of your pan (I used a square cake foil tray) and top with 1/3 of the sauce mixture. Add half the ricotta cheese and 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Add another "noodle" layer, crosshatching them with the original slices. Spoon half of the remaining sauce, then add the rest of the ricotta and half the cheese. Top with the final layer of "noodles" and cheese, and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Serves four as dinner entree + veggies as long as you add a low GI carb and fat serving here or elsewhere in your day.

I bet you won't even notice that something was missing- this was really good and a great way to get in those veggie servings!

No comments:

Post a Comment