This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Wisdom of Children

I was downstairs on the elliptical machine tonight thinking that I really didn't want to be there, and I couldn't possibly exercise for another minute. A lot of the time when I'm exercising I distract myself with a book or the TV so that I don't think about what I'm doing, but tonight it was just me and sweat. I started making excuses to myself so that I could justify quitting, and then I found myself cheering myself on, telling myself that I could do anything for just one more minute, couldn't I? Then praising myself for accomplishing that and coaxing for just one more minute.

My field is Early Childhood Education. I have spent most of my time with preschoolers, although I've worked with babies right up to school age. A common characteristic of young children is called private speech, or self talk, where they talk to themselves out loud while they are figuring something out. They sort of coach themselves through the situation. Generally by the time we're adults, we've stopped the private speech, at least out loud! However, it's often still in our minds. In everyone's heart of hearts, we're all afraid of failure. That little voice in your head telling you not to try because you can't do it is WRONG. The problem is, we've allowed the negativity to overwhelm our self talk. Next time you're doing something challenging, cheer for yourself. Talk yourself through it in a positive way- it really does work! I survived those extra few minutes on the elliptical and I was proud of myself for doing it and not giving in to my negative thoughts.

A few months ago when I readjusted my ticker to my new target, I still didn't dare imagine that I could actually accomplish it. I was afraid that I was setting myself up for failure again with an unrealistic goal. But now, I really do believe that I will reach and maintain the weight that I want to attain. Maybe it'll take a long time to get there, but I will get there. I know that I can do it. I have faith in myself.

Out of the mouths of babes; the children knew what I had forgotten- you are your own biggest fan, and you're the best person to help yourself through a challenge. So next time that mean little voice rears its ugly head, you can tune it out and remind yourself that the only person who can stop you, is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment