This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, January 13, 2020

Protein

Protein is one of the major macronutrients, and it's so helpful in keeping yourself full. It's really important to choose high protein foods for your Powerfuels because they will not only make you feel satisfied but give your body what it needs. If you need some ideas for Powerfuels, check out my Pantry Guide.

In the meantime, Nutrisystem has been releasing more new items that are great for protein consumption.

Nutricrush Shakes (Powerfuel):


While I'm not a big fan of protein shakes in general, because I prefer eating my calories than drinking them, these shakes can definitely be a useful tool in curbing hunger. My mother really likes them, particularly the chocolate. She's had Vega protein shakes in the past, and finds these particles are much smaller, so they blend more easily. She likes mixing the chocolate shake with her morning coffee so it tastes like a mocha, and adding just a little bit of cinnamon. You can also blend them with ice (or make your coffee into ice cubes!) and add mint for a chocolate mint "milkshake". The vanilla shake can blend with coffee for a latte, but I think it mixes better with chai tea, personally. You can also use one of your extras for 35 calories' of fruit and make a milkshake! I've seen "black forest" milkshakes with some cherries blended in, or use a little pineapple for a pina colada.

Looking to buy some cheaply to try? The Nutrisystem ones are expensive, but my family prefers them over other varieties we have tried in the stores. There are often cans of shakes for sale in the Facebook Nutrisystem Food Resale Group for less than retail price!

What are your favourite ways to use the shakes?


Salted Caramel Protein Puffs (Snack):


Salted caramel seems to be one of the new crazes lately. I have to admit, I'm not a fan of even the highest quality salted caramel foods because I don't enjoy mixing the sweet and salty tastes- it's just not to my palate. I'm not surprised that these were not among my favourite snacks.

On the plus side, they are absolutely loaded with protein- one of the highest protein snacks that Nutrisystem offers. And as you can see, you get a huge serving. That's a cereal bowl and it's quite full of those little puffs. If you occasionally want to sit and snack with a large portion, these will work. They are very sweet though and the texture isn't all that appealing- but they are definitely a snack that will take up some time to eat.


Nacho Puffs (Snack):


These seem to be the same texture as the Salted Caramel Protein Puffs, but I like the flavour much better. I have to admit that the Cheese Puffs still win hands down flavourwise (even after the reformulation), but the sheer quantity of these Nacho Puffs plus the more than doubled protein gives them the win for me. I've been having these as my afternoon snack nearly every day because they are just so filling and they take such a long time to eat! I would definitely recommend these (but don't order too many, I'd hate to see them go low inventory!).

No comments:

Post a Comment