This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Easy Full Day Meal Plan with Takeout!

 I haven't posted a full day meal plan in some time, because I haven't well felt enough to be doing much playing around with recipes. I am doing my best to get back on track though, and my meal plan yesterday was absolutely delicious. It was relatively low energy as well, since one meal was takeout and another was only 15 minutes from start to plate! Breakfast can be prepped in advance as well so save this meal plan for a day when you are tired/don't have a lot of time to be working on your meals!


Breakfast:



Raspberry Lemon Muffins:

1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour 
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp fine-grain sea salt
⅓ cup melted coconut oil 
½ cup Splenda or sweetener of choice
2 eggs, preferably at room temperature
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons lemon extract
Zest of 1 medium lemon (about ½ tsp)
1 ½ cups fresh or frozen raspberries

Makes 12 servings.

The lemon extract combined with the zest and the fresh raspberries made these so flavourful, and the coconut oil made them smell delicious. The protein from the Greek yogurt keeps them lower on the glycemic index which will help keep you full without spiking your blood sugars.

The muffins, while delicious right out of the oven, can be made in advance and either kept in a container for 3-4 days, or frozen for up to three months if wrapped well. 

You could also boost the protein higher by using a substitute like almond flour, or even a high protein pancake mix in replacement of the flour.

Breakfast Summary: 142 calories, 7.5g fat, 15.5g carbs, 5.5g protein


Morning Snack:



I had a strawberry cheesecake flavoured Greek yogurt along with a cup of halved fresh strawberries- delicious! If you're close to a border with the US (or live in the US yourself of course!), definitely check out American grocery stores for awesome Greek yogurt flavours that aren't available in Canada. I love the Dannon Light & Fit yogurts especially because they taste great, are larger portions than the Canadian yogurt cups, and fewer calories. I took a day trip and brought home flavours like Raspberry Lemonade, Orange Creamsicle, Caramel Apple Pie, Tiramisu, Creme Brulee, Pumpkin Spice, Boston Cream, and others. I don't know why they aren't available here but I love getting them when I can!

Snack Summary: 103 calories, 0g fat, 14.5g carbs, 12.5g protein


Lunch:



So tasty! I got a quarter chicken meal from Swiss Chalet with white meat (I chose to remove the skin). Swiss Chalet is one of the healthiest takeout places you can eat at because it's easy to go high protein if that works for you, and they have lots of side dishes that aren't drowning in sauces or grease. I got a garden salad with fat free Ranch dressing and steamed mixed vegetables on the side. And of course, can't miss out on the delicious Chalet sauce!

This meal was huge, so save it for a hungry day or have only one side dish!

Lunch Summary: 371 calories, 10.5g fat, 24g carbs, 45.5g protein


Afternoon Snack:


I went pretty basic, since I wasn't really hungry after that large lunch! I had a string cheese along with an apple and 1 tbsp walnut pieces. While I love fruit, it's important to remember always to pair it with protein to reduce blood sugar spikes.

This snack was quick and easy, and I do love snacks with multiple components so that I can get a variety of different flavours.

Snack Summary: 176 calories, 7.5g fat, 22g carbs, 7.5g protein


Dinner:



Tiny Tacos:

8 oz lean ground beef (or protein of choice)
3 tbsp taco seasoning
2 oz shredded cheese of choice
113g yellow onion, diced
lettuce, tomatoes for garnish
2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
salsa if preferred


Brown your ground beef in a frying pan on medium, and as it cooks, add the onions. Make sure you keep mincing so there are no large chunks. When there is no pink left, drain out any extra fat in your pan. Add 1/4 cup water and taco seasoning, and stir well. Raise the heat to high to boil off any extra liquid in the pan, and keep stirring. Once the liquid is gone, your meat is ready! Serve with your favourite garnishes.

This barely needs a recipe at all- I just threw it together quickly but it was delicious, filling, and high protein. Serves two portions. Feel free to swap the beef for your preferred protein of choice- this will work with anything from other ground meats (or meat substitutes) to seafood or tofu. Just make sure the protein is in small bits since the tacos are so small!

I didn't know how useful those little tortillas would be since they look so small compared to "normal" medium flour tortillas (let alone burrito sized ones) but honestly they worked just fine- and you can have three of them for fewer calories than one and a half medium ones, and who eats half a taco after all?

I used cotija cheese and tomatillo salsa on mine for a little bit of authentic Mexican kick but feel free to use what you like best.

Dinner Summary: 495 calories, 27g fat, 31.5g carbs, 32g protein


Dessert:



Sticking with our quick and easy theme, I picked a grab n go dessert. These chocolate covered hazelnuts are both diabetic and keto friendly and not only fairly low calorie but also relatively inexpensive. I would recommend giving their products a try! A little low in protein but nuts are healthy fats.

Dessert Summary: 140 calories, 13g fat, 12g carbs, 2g protein

Daily Total: 1427 calories, 65.5g fat, 119.5g of carbs, 105g protein


Hope you find this meal plan helpful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment