This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, September 7, 2023

Quick and Easy!

 I haven't been posting recipes or meal plans in a while since I've been so exhausted but I had this for lunch yesterday and it was so good that I had to make it again today, too! You can even do your prep in advance so all you have to do is assemble it- nearly as quick as a microwave frozen meal and much tastier! By using precooked chicken strips and keeping a container of diced veggies in the fridge, this was on my plate in less than ten minutes. And in my face not long after that! 


Chicken Quesadilla:




Quesadillas out at a restaurant always seem to have close to 1000 calories and loads of fat, and they just don't need that to taste good. You can still get that characteristic crispy shell and gooey filling without the hit to the caloric budget!

1 large whole wheat flour tortilla
1oz shredded taco cheese
your favourite veggies, diced
fresh lime

Preheat a large pan on the stovetop over low heat while you're dicing your veggies- I like tomato, red onion, and sweet bell peppers in mine. Put the veggies in a bowl with the chicken, add a squirt of fresh lime juice, and sprinkle taco seasoning over top and stir to blend.

When the pan is hot, spray with cooking spray. Fold the tortilla in half, and then open it up. Sprinkle half the cheese onto the inside half of the quesadilla, add the chicken and veggies, then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and close the tortilla. Cook, covered, for 3-4 minutes, or until the tortilla is crispy. Carefully flip the quesadilla over, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

Plate, cut into thirds, and serve with your favourite salsa or sour cream! I find you can easily swap in plain Greek yogurt for sour cream in this recipe and you will get a protein boost and not notice the difference in taste.

If you prefer your veggies cooked, you can do that as well but I find it will make the quesadilla a little wetter as they lose water. You can also cook your own chicken in the taco spice, of course- precooked chicken only saves you a little time.

This is a large and filling meal, so enjoy it on your hungry days! It's only 377 calories, 13g of fat, 33.5g carbohydrates, and a whopping 28g of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment