This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Musings

So it's now been ten days on the new Nutrisystem program, and while I did manage to get through Turbo Takeoff, so far I can honestly say that where there has been any change in the program, I personally find it to be a disappointing one.

I was having a discussion with my friend and he asked me why I didn't just eat more of the frozen portion controlled entrees from the grocery store, like Weight Watchers Smart Ones or Healthy Choice. I told him that I found myself with some sort of frustrated mental block about them. I like them sometimes but I really think of them as "diet" food. And I don't (didn't?) feel that way about Nutrisystem for some reason that I can't fathom. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I can jazz up Nutrisystem meals while a frozen meal pretty much is as-is, take it or leave it. And of course, here in Canada we still can't get the Nutrisystem frozen meals for some reason. But, I digress.

Portion sizes have never been generous on Nutrisystem, and for someone like me who enjoys large portions, even if I have to move things around to make it so, that's been an issue. But I was so sad today looking into the lunch cup of cheddar broccoli rice. I will say that it tasted absolutely delicious... but man, I don't think I could ever get used to having a cup of rice as my main meal. I used a Powerfuel and had a piece of salmon and a salad, and had this as my side dish. It was an excellent side dish... but I simply cannot see it being the main entrée. Perhaps it's supposed to be used like this? But if a Powerfuel is no longer standard with lunch anymore, that seems a bit off, too.

I had the same issue with the dinner entrée meatballs in marinara sauce. While they were yummy, the serving size was pathetically small. There was literally five meatballs the size of marbles in a few spoonfuls of sauce in the pouch. I was so disappointed to see that. I realize I am getting a lot of mileage out of this word, but that's how I have been feeling. I took one of my usual tricks and measured out a portion of whole wheat pasta for the carb that you add, and also cooked up half a spaghetti squash to mix in with the pasta, which I topped with meatballs and a little bit of low sodium tomato sauce. I personally find that throwing a little "real" pasta in with the spaghetti squash helps with both taste and satiety. I did pick up a pack of Tofu Shirataki noodles though, to give them a try- that might work better even than the spaghetti squash although normally I give tofu the big sideeye.

The other entrees I've sampled recently are the thick crust pizza, walnut chocolate chip cookies, and white chocolate chunk cookies. Fortunately, there has been no deterioration here; both the pizza and the walnut chocolate chip cookies are as I remember them. The white chocolate chunk used to be a single cookie, and I do prefer it in the new way where you get multiple tiny cookies like with the walnut ones- so there is one small improvement at least!

Honestly though, while I am losing weight (7lbs lost as of this morning), I don't see how I could stay on this program long term anymore. Disappointment truly is the word of the day. I guess Nutrisystem wouldn't want to hire me to be their staff blogger again anyway (although I don't even think they have a blogger program anymore) since I don't have much good to say right now other than it does work if you follow it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susie! I wanted to reach out to see how your wedding was and if all went well with your dress? Please be sure to post again to tell us all how it went! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cynthia, I'm so sorry I forgot to turn on comments!

      My dress fit and we had a wonderful wedding! Thank you so much for asking :)
      I'm also back on Nutrisystem to try and drop all the weight I regained over the past few years, so if you're still reading, you'll see a lot of me!

      Delete