This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Turbo Takeoff

I have to admit that I am really not enjoying the Nutrisystem Turbo Takeoff week. It is extremely low calorie, so much so that they state very clearly only to do it for one week and even to curb your exercise. While it's easy to follow, that's because for the first week you are pretty much only consuming the Nutrisystem food plus fresh veggies. There is no adding in any Smartcarbs or Powerfuels (I still feel silly writing that and I wish they gave them better names!) anywhere, so there really isn't much you can do with the food besides heat and eat. I can be 100% straightforward when I say that if this was how the program continued, I would prefer to be fat.

My next complaint is that they prepack the food that is in the Turbo Takeoff week, and there are just way too many bars. They give you a Nutricurb bar for your afternoon snack, which has stats similar to your average protein bar. So some days, you get a breakfast bar, a lunch bar, and a Nutricurb bar. There just isn't enough bulk even when you add in your four veggie servings. I don't like being hungry all the time. Even though the regular entrees are still small before you bulk them up, they're more satisfying than just eating a cold bar for a meal. I have had several moments when I have felt lightheaded from eating so little, and I'm definitely crankier than usual. They didn't have a kickstart like this when I first did Nutrisystem back in 2010. However, since it's only one week, I will persevere.

Today at least has been better. I had the granola cereal for breakfast, and it was pretty close to what I remembered. Instead of adding in the skim milk as required to complete the entree, I added in a 1/2 serving of Greek yogurt. It's much more filling that way and I can't stand cereal so this is the only way it works for me. It was tasty and for at least a little while I didn't feel deprived! I missed being able to add the fruit, though.

I haven't really been taking many photos this week because I've been so hungry that as soon as I grab my food I just want to put it in my face. I will try to be a little more conscious of my record keeping here!

So far I have tried: beans & ham soup, harvest nut bar, fudge graham bar, macaroni & cheese with turkey sausage, chicken alfredo, cinnamon streusel muffin, in addition to the granola cereal and chicken noodle soup.

The beans & ham soup is also much as I remember it. I couldn't add my usual veggie dogs, sadly, but I did still add the ketchup and mustard and it left me with the familiar baked bean type dish that I remembered. While it was small, it was pretty filling and I enjoyed it. I would order this again.

I seem to have been grabbing things that looked familiar, which I suppose makes sense! The harvest nut bar is a little on the small side, but it tasted pretty decadent and I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't so hungry that I was stuffing it in my mouth. While it was good, I prefer to have something for breakfast that feels more like a treat and I probably would not order this again.

The fudge graham bar is yummy and exactly as I remember it. In the past, I used it as a meal replacement when I was on the go, or else as the "dessert" to a meal which was a big salad with a protein serving on top. That isn't an option this week (or apparently at all anymore unless you borrow the powerfuel from a snack and I have to ask if that is still okay), so I ate the bar, liked it since it used to be a favourite of mine, and then looked regretfully at the package when lunch was over.

The mac & cheese with turkey sausage was pretty good. I'm actually not sure what I would do to modify this entrée but I haven't put much thought into it. The sauce was creamy and delicious and the sausage chunks tasted good. It was much better than I expected and I would order this again.

I felt similarly about the chicken alfredo, although I still miss the Florentine entrée that was discontinued years ago. That was SO good. I wish they would put more vegetables right in the Nutrisystem entrees but I can understand why they don't and just have you add your own. This one I think could definitely do with some onions and peppers and spinach mixed into it to bulk it up a bit, but the flavour was pretty good on its own. The chicken was a little dry but it was okay.

The cinnamon streusel muffin was yummy! I love their baked breakfast treats and was not surprised that I enjoyed this. I would most definitely order it again.

Three days into Turbo Takeoff... only four more to go thankfully. I hope I am losing inches this week and all this hunger is worthwhile! 

No comments:

Post a Comment