This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Barramundi

I told myself at the start of my Seafood Theme that I was going to try at least one brand new thing. A lot of the recipes that I share here are ones that I've made before so I know they are good. But sometimes it's fun to try something with completely new ingredients and see how it goes. I found this recipe in Women's Health magazine and thought I'd give it a try. I'd never even heard of barramundi before, but much to my surprise when I asked for it at my grocery store fresh fish counter, they did have some in the back! So I figured I had to make this recipe and see how I liked it.

Also, when I went on vacation in December, I had these awesome fish tacos at the hotel restaurant and wanted to see if I could recreate them. Here's what I made:

Flex Meals (Dinner):



Chili-Lime Barramundi Tacos:

4oz barramundi fillet
1 tsp olive oil
2 small corn tortillas, warmed
shredded cabbage
diced tomatoes
pepper, chili powder, cumin, cilantro, lime juice to taste
Creamy Tarragon Sauce

Sprinkle the pepper, chili powder, and cumin over the fish. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and add the fish. Cook for 5 minutes, flip, and cook for another 2 minutes. Chop into pieces and squirt with lime juice and a little fresh cilantro. Put the cabbage, tomatoes, and fish into the heated tortillas and enjoy with the Creamy Tarragon Sauce!




Creamy Tarragon Sauce (from Sobeys magazine):

1/4 cup sour cream
1 tbsp horseradish
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
1/2 tsp lemon zest

Mix all ingredients together and enjoy with the fish tacos. 2 tbsp is a free food.

This didn't have quite the same flavour as the ones I had in Florida, so I'm going to have to keep searching for a great recipe that will work. The tarragon sauce had quite a kick to it in my opinion- if you like horseradish you will love it, but if you aren't used to it (I'm not), you might want to cut the amount to 1 tsp instead. I think I will do that next time.

It was a nice light meal though. Count it as one dinner entree plus a vegetable serving (and a free food if you use the sauce). The oil is part of your flex dinner so you still need to add a fat and some veggies to make a complete dinner.

And that brings our Seafood Theme to a close... I have some other great new recipes to share though, so keep checking back!

No comments:

Post a Comment