This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Sunday, September 1, 2019

Italian Flavours

It's funny how my food cravings tend to run in cycles- am I the only one? I've been finding over the last few days that I am really craving Italian food. Fortunately, Nutrisystem makes it easy to satisfy this craving!

Normally when I am picking a pasta dinner, the Rotini & Meatballs is my go-to. The Penne Bolognese didn't exist in 2010 when I first started Nutrisystem, and so I just ordered what I remembered. Today, I finally gave the Penne a try and really enjoyed it! I think with the meat actually in the sauce instead of being in meatballs, it helps stretch the sauce further over the veggies that I added. Either way- dinner was quick, simple, totally on plan and so filling!

Penne Bolognese with Meat Sauce (Dinner):



1 pkg Nutrisystem Penne Bolognese with Meat Sauce
1/2 cup cottage cheese (optional)
1/2 cup no sodium tomato sauce (up to 35 calories) (optional)
your favourite pasta veggies, diced
Italian seasoning

I started by taking out my mandolin, and chopping up zucchini, cremini mushrooms, onion, and yellow bell pepper. I sautéed them in the tomato sauce until they were softening, and added the Italian seasoning. Then I added the NS Penne, and continued cooking over medium heat until it was warm throughout. Right before I was about to plate it, I added the cottage cheese to give the sauce that rich cheesy flavour.

This meal counts as a Nutrisystem dinner entrée plus veggies. If you choose to use the cottage cheese, it counts as a Powerfuel (and is well worth saving one!). The tomato sauce counts as an extra. If you don't want to use an extra for it, canned crushed tomatoes with no sodium would be free.

Definitely beats my pasta cravings and with a whopping 35g of protein, I know I won't be hungry for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment