This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, February 27, 2023

Week 16 Weigh In

So as I mentioned last week, I was having a hard time trying to decide what to do about my dosage. I'm normally a Monday doser, and because the hunger had returned so intensely, I gave myself a booster dose on Thursday, which was the last dose in the pen so it included the bonus bit.

I didn't want to stay on a 2x per week dosing schedule because the night I take my shot I apparently need very deep sleep and I feel good if I get it but terrible if I don't. As a busy mom, there's no way I can guarantee myself two great nights of sleep a week! So I wanted to make a decision about the amount of dose but to stick to Mondays only going forward. I wasn't going to take only 0.25mg because that would probably put me back in the original situation where I wanted to increase my dose, but I thought going up to 0.5mg immediately when I already had the booster dose in my system would make me ill. I went for the Solomonic choice and dosed using the click chart to get to 0.38mg, or 27 clicks (9 clicks past the 0.25mg marker).


While the click chart generally isn't needed if you are following the standard dosage schedule, it can help if you want to work your way up to higher doses more slowly. While I didn't experience many side effects when I first started 0.25mg, I did certainly have more this week, and I think if I had increased my dose more quickly that I may have had more issues tolerating the medication. I feel like it is helping my body adjust by using smaller intervals. 

Currently, after doing some math and seeing how well this plan fits with the size of an Ozempic pen, I'm planning to take another 3 doses of 0.38mg to see how I'm adjusting, and if things go well, go up to 0.5mg for the final dose. That would total 2.02mg on a 2mg pen, but with the "bonus amount" in each pen to ensure full doses after priming the pen, I'm sure there would be enough. That would give me 5 doses out of the pen as well instead of the usual 4.

We'll see how it goes for now. If I need a slower progression, that's fine too. As long as the medication is working and my body can tolerate it, then I'm happy with my choices and the opportunity to work on my issues around food.


And it's definitely working! I was delighted to see this message after I input my weight into Lose It this morning. Now that includes my pre-Ozempic weight loss, but that is still a LOT of weight. I don't see much difference when I look in the mirror, but my clothes are definitely fitting differently so I'll take that as a win. And whether or not I can see the difference, my body knows the difference. That's stress off my knees, and off my heart. I hope it will be years more of life, but of course we never know and that's why we have to make the most of the time we have.

Also? I was never strong enough to bowl with an 11lb bowling ball and can't even imagine carrying around five of them at once!

My Ozempic weight loss is coming up to close to 30lbs, which is exciting! While I wouldn't want to continue losing 4lbs per week, my overall loss is right in the healthy range of 1-2lbs per week, which is great. The higher loss weeks help compensate for the lower loss weeks, or the weeks where I gain some back. For today though? I'm pretty happy! Just got my exercise clothes on so that I can do a workout before work. Funny how it can motivate you to keep going when you see things working well. It's just important to keep going on the weeks where it isn't.


Start Date: November 7, 2022  0.25mg
OZ Week 1 loss: 3.4lbs
OZ Week 2 loss: 2.2 lbs
OZ Week 3 gain: 2.0lbs
OZ Week 4 loss: 4.4lbs
OZ Week 5 loss: 1.4lbs
OZ Week 6 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 7: skipped weigh in  0.39mg (used "bonus bit" in the pen)
OZ Week 8 gain: 4.4lbs  back to 0.25mg (started exercising seriously)
OZ Week 9 loss: 6.6lbs
OZ Week 10 loss: 2.0lbs
OZ Week 11 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 12 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 13 loss: 2.6lbs
OZ Week 14 loss: 1.6lbs
OZ Week 15 loss: 0.4lbs (took booster dose halfway through the week, so 0.25mg + 0.33mg)
OZ Week 16 loss: 4lbs  raised dose to 0.38mg

Total loss on Ozempic so far: 29.4lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment