This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Starting Exercise

 So let me start off with this thought... I hate exercise. I have always hated exercise. It's boring, I hate being sweaty, and it feels like a waste of time. Just so we're clear that I'm not one of those gym bunnies who is out there every day happily doing a routine because they feel good doing it. That is NOT me.

But, I also like the concept of not dying, and exercise can improve cardiac health and also has a positive effect on blood sugars, so exercise it is!

I was given an Apple watch back in November, and I've been using it as a kick to get more active. I also set my baseline activity in the Lose It app to sedentary, which I was at the time. But as I started to lose weight, my calorie budget went down, of course. Now I was taught that as a woman with 100+lbs to lose, which I was at the time, that I should be eating in the ballpark of 1500 calories per day. Lose It wasn't giving me 1500 anymore, so that meant I literally had to move if I wanted to eat! And even if I didn't much feel like eating because of the Ozempic, that's how much food my body needed otherwise I'd run the risk of damaging my metabolism even further.

So, I started adding a walk around the neighborhood, which was really nice in the fall. My counselor told me once that if I was having trouble getting started, to set my goal very, very small; that way when I saw how attainable it was, I could go for it. She suggested on days that I really didn't want to go anywhere, to just lace up my running shoes and walk to the stop sign at the end of my street. I live on a very short street, so that's about a two minute walk. Most days, I'd get there and feel silly to turn around and go home, so I'd keep going.

At first, I still wouldn't go very far. Some days really were just to that stop sign and back if I really wasn't up to much, but I started walking further until I had two regular walking loops; one that was about 20 minutes, and one that was about 45 minutes. I never set myself any particular speed goals; I'd just put on some music and go, or ask a friend if they wanted to go with me. Over time, though, I started to notice that my watch let me know that I was walking faster (it conveniently announces your speed after you complete each kilometre!).

Then, an online friend of mine also got an Apple Watch, and it has a fun feature of being able to see your friends' daily activity and workouts (if both people give permission of course!). We decided to start working out together- either doing a Facetime audio call and doing a video together, or else if schedules didn't permit, to at least do the same workout for that feeling of connectedness.

And do you know what? I still hate exercise, but I hate it a little less with someone to complain with and swear at the workout videos when a particularly challenging move comes up. I started putting real effort and commitment into exercising, and you can see from week 8 onwards how my weight loss has dramatically increased! It really does work. I can see the changes in my body from developing more muscle as well, and that's great.

I've also seen a big improvement in my stamina. When I first started working out only two months ago (beyond my walks around the neighborhood), I was struggling to keep up and finish a 25 minute video. Now, I can do an hour and while I'm still winded afterwards, that's amazing improvement! Keep in mind that I was the dictionary definition of sedentary; average day would be fewer than 4000 steps and I spent much of my time sitting or laying down. It's only taken two months of dedication and determination to see that I can improve my health if I put in the effort.

I will never be a gym bunny. I have no interest in striving for the perfect body, and every time I put on a workout video I can't help but think that I'd rather be doing something else. But when things matter, you make them a priority. I deserve to be my own priority. 

If you're brand new to exercise, start small. Don't go crazy and start with hour long workouts or heavy weights. Just lace up your shoes and walk to the stop sign at the end of your street... and when you're ready? Keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment