This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, April 13, 2023

Calories: Are You Eating Enough?




Since we've all been raised on calories in- calories out for the longest time, it's not surprising that a really common trope in weight loss is that if you eat less, you'll lose more weight. This obviously is an immediate discounting of other issues that can make it harder to lose, such as insulin resistance or other hormonal imbalances, but it can be even more damaging for the people it actually seems to work for.

Especially with Ozempic, where on some days it really can be a struggle to eat, either because you don't feel hungry or if you're having severe side effects, it might feel like a good thing if you're only eating 800 calories and not hungry, right?

Having the occasional day where you're very low isn't a big deal, any more than the occasional day where you go high is. Life is about balance, and sometimes we hit those extremes. That being said though, don't be afraid to eat a reasonable number of calories. Lower is most definitely not always better! Your body needs food so that it runs properly, and continually shortchanging it will open you up to health issues just as similarly as eating too much food does. I'd recommend giving this article a look, as it discusses the effects of eating too few calories and how to calculate your personal caloric needs.

Personally, I tend to calorie cycle between 1200-1700 calories, but aiming more for the high end since I do exercise 5-6 days a week now. However, as I lose weight, my basal metabolic rate (BMR) is reduced, so I'll either need to increase activity or lower my intake to stay in a calorie deficit. I've lost half the weight I want to lose, and so my BMR has reduced accordingly. When I started working on my health back in April 2022, my BMR at my high weight was 2084 calories; that's how many I burned just through body systems even if I lay in bed all day. Any activity calories I burned would be in addition to that. At my current weight (and one year older!), my BMR is 1785 calories. So you can see that is a really big difference! I have to burn an extra 300 calories a day just to keep up, or else decrease my food intake. 

Since I want to lose an average of 2 pounds per week, that's a 1000 calorie deficit I'm aiming for on a daily basis (3500 calories is one pound). I could simply eat an average of 1285 calories per day and I would be in deficit to lose one pound per week (going below 1200 calories isn't recommended for health reasons), or I can keep working out and eat more food, and create that extra deficit! While I have days I don't really feel like eating, in general, I'd like to have the option of eating more if that's what I'm feeling like! Additionally, 1285 is too low to calorie cycle in a healthy way, because it is generally recommended not to go below 1200 calories on a regular basis; that's a minimum threshold for women to keep their systems healthy and functional. If you aren't familiar with calorie cycling, that's when instead of eating say 1500 calories every day, it means on Sunday you might eat 1200, Monday you'd eat 1350, Tuesday you'd eat 1500, Wednesday you'd eat 1185, etc and so on. Keeping the calories changed up also keeps your metabolism burning, which is why it's also recommended when you hit a plateau to do some calorie cycling.

Back to the original premise of how it is so important to make sure you're eating enough to fuel your body. Again, I wouldn't worry if you have the odd day when you're really low, but if you're just choosing not to eat because you're not hungry and you're also not hitting 1200 calories as a minimum, I would recommend in my non medical opinion that you make some changes. There are easy ways to give your daily calories a healthy boost that won't leave you feeling overstuffed or eating when you don't want to. 

The first and easiest is olive oil; just spray a little on your food in the air fryer, or when you're pan frying your meal. Make yourself a homemade salad dressing with oil and balsamic vinegar if you like! Not sure I'd recommend the new Starbucks trend of having it in your coffee but hey if it works for you, go for it! One tablespoon of olive oil is 140 calories, so it can give your calories a bit of a boost without feeling like you're eating more.

How about sneaking a little avocado on your toast or into your salad? Half an avocado is 161 calories, and it's also going to add some healthy fats to your diet (which is great for your hair and skin as well!).

Cheese is another good choice that can be a very small portion for a good calorie boost. They vary, but one ounce of cheese is anywhere from 80-130 calories and also includes some protein, too.

What's your go-to snack on days when you're running low calorie?

No comments:

Post a Comment