This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, April 17, 2023

Week 23 Weigh In!

This week, especially the past few days, I started to notice a lot more food noise in my head than has been before. I was really surprised, to be honest- is that what it was like before Ozempic??? It was INTENSE. Constant, insistent thoughts about food. 

At that point my first reaction was to be really proud of myself for doing as well as I had in the past with all that pressure! How was I strong enough to resist all that? I believe that I do have a GLP-1 deficiency since the medication works as well for me as it does, and so it's suppressing that level of food cravings. I suspect that means I'll be on Ozempic for life, and I'm okay with that. I would have been on my diabetes medications for life, so why should this be any different? And I would much rather enjoy my food without that busy, insistent focus on eating- because it leaves me more mental space to actually enjoy my food!

I saw a post in the group who asked, dismayed, if Ozempic now means we eat to live rather than live to eat. And honestly, I think that I may enjoy eating now more than I did before. Why is it thought of as a positive that we stuff ourselves until our bellies are uncomfortable? If we can eat a small portion of the food, we can really enjoy it without paying a price afterwards. And even better- there are often leftovers the next day so it costs less per serving even with inflation and we can enjoy it longer!

Part of the discomfort the last few days was that I didn't actually know if I was hungry or not, since we never really do get "full" in a way that I recognize as being full. I used to get the hard stop early in my Ozempic journey, and I haven't had that in a while. I do find that if I get distracted that I'll forget I'm eating and start playing with my food instead, which I recognize as a cue that my body has had enough. But when I was getting that insistent messaging from my brain thinking about food, it made me wonder if I needed more. I've been working out hard lately, maybe my body needs more fuel? Or maybe this week the shot is just wearing off a little early, even though I haven't noticed this side effect before.

Either way? I did eat a snack (cut up turkey pepperettes, cucumber slices and cheese) when the noise got loud, and I felt better afterwards, so who knows. I finished around 1800 calories yesterday, so for a high day it's still not too bad. It will be interesting to see how I feel this week.

Would I like to see a bigger loss than 0.6lbs? Sure, but like I keep pointing out in the group, weight loss isn't linear. A small loss or even a gain doesn't mean we're doing anything wrong. If we trust the process, keep making good choices, and doing what we're doing, eventually we will get to where we're going!

I'm planning to titrate up my dose again tonight in my quest to get to 0.50mg, so tonight's dose will be 32 clicks to get 0.44mg. I'd rather go up slowly than get the intermittent nausea I had back in weeks 15-17.

Off to squeeze in my morning workout before work (yes, I've somehow become one of those crazy people I used to marvel at!), hope you have a great day!


Start Date: November 7, 2022  0.25mg
OZ Week 1 loss: 3.4lbs
OZ Week 2 loss: 2.2 lbs
OZ Week 3 gain: 2.0lbs
OZ Week 4 loss: 4.4lbs
OZ Week 5 loss: 1.4lbs
OZ Week 6 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 7: skipped weigh in  0.39mg (used "bonus bit" in the pen)
OZ Week 8 gain: 4.4lbs  back to 0.25mg (started exercising seriously)
OZ Week 9 loss: 6.6lbs
OZ Week 10 loss: 2.0lbs
OZ Week 11 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 12 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 13 loss: 2.6lbs
OZ Week 14 loss: 1.6lbs
OZ Week 15 loss: 0.4lbs (took booster dose halfway through the week, so 0.25mg + 0.33mg)
OZ Week 16 loss: 4lbs  raised dose to 0.38mg
OZ Week 17 loss: 0.6lbs
OZ Week 18 loss: 5.6lbs
OZ Week 19 gain: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 20 loss: 2.6lbs
OZ Week 21 loss: 2.0lbs raised dose to 0.40mg
OZ Week 22 loss: 2.8lbs raised dose to 0.42mg
OZ Week 23 loss: 0.6lbs

Total loss on Ozempic so far: 41.2lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment