This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, April 24, 2023

Week 24 Weigh In!

So much to my surprise, I found that not only did I feel stronger medication effects this week, but the side effects also returned. I was not expecting that with an increase of only 0.02mg! So I have decided that I don't plan on increasing this week and I'll stay at the 0.44mg until I'm not feeling those random bursts of nausea.

I wish they would run a study with a slower progression of doses. I am starting to believe that many of the side effects people experience are coming simply from the rapid increase in dose and our bodies may need more time to get used to it. It would be interesting to see if weight loss would decrease much because I bet quality of life would go way up. That being said, I've been taking the slow progression and I'm averaging a solid 1.78lbs per week, which is towards the high end of healthy weight loss. If I could have lost it a little faster but been nauseous all the time? Thanks, I'm good the way I'm doing things now.

Even if they can't design a study that says move up in a way that works for you, they could try different things like doubling the time interval from 4 weeks to 8 weeks, or halving the amount of the increase so you move up more slowly, or both. I think it would be interesting to see the results of this and if it has any measurable effects on both side effects, blood sugar control, and weight loss.

The other reason I wonder if a slower progression is better is that once you reach the high doses, where do you go from there once you develop a tolerance? You can't keep increasing if you've already reached the maximum. It feels like going more slowly would allow more space for increases when we stall. I've been lucky enough not to hit a plateau yet (which is defined as three or more weeks of zero weight change while still maintaining a calorie deficit- if you aren't doing that, it's not a plateau), but it's good to know that I will have space to increase if necessary.

I'm not a doctor so please don't take anything I say as medical advice. It's possible I'm missing something obvious that I don't even have the training to understand that I'm misunderstanding. I can only share my thoughts on my own experience with Ozempic.


Start Date: November 7, 2022  0.25mg
OZ Week 1 loss: 3.4lbs
OZ Week 2 loss: 2.2 lbs
OZ Week 3 gain: 2.0lbs
OZ Week 4 loss: 4.4lbs
OZ Week 5 loss: 1.4lbs
OZ Week 6 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 7: skipped weigh in  0.39mg (used "bonus bit" in the pen)
OZ Week 8 gain: 4.4lbs  back to 0.25mg (started exercising seriously)
OZ Week 9 loss: 6.6lbs
OZ Week 10 loss: 2.0lbs
OZ Week 11 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 12 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 13 loss: 2.6lbs
OZ Week 14 loss: 1.6lbs
OZ Week 15 loss: 0.4lbs (took booster dose halfway through the week, so 0.25mg + 0.33mg)
OZ Week 16 loss: 4lbs  raised dose to 0.38mg
OZ Week 17 loss: 0.6lbs
OZ Week 18 loss: 5.6lbs
OZ Week 19 gain: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 20 loss: 2.6lbs
OZ Week 21 loss: 2.0lbs raised dose to 0.40mg
OZ Week 22 loss: 2.8lbs raised dose to 0.42mg
OZ Week 23 loss: 0.6lbs raised dose to 0.44mg
OZ Week 24 loss: 1.4lbs

Total loss on Ozempic so far: 42.6lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment