This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Friday, January 12, 2024

New Recipes!

 I haven't been posting as many recipes as I'd like lately because life has just been very hectic. I am going to try and focus on finding more to share with you, though.

One of the things I've experienced on Ozempic along with the decreased food noise is simply a lack of desire to menu plan. It really is difficult to not only figure out what sounds appetizing (not only to you, but to your family as well if you cook for multiple people!) and then go grocery shopping and actually summon up the will to cook it. 

My family has a weekly erasable menu board on the fridge so we try and plan things out so that not only am I not constantly being asked what's for dinner, but this way we don't overbuy groceries and also make sure that it's relatively balanced in terms of variety. I don't love having a ton of leftovers and eating the same thing for days on end and my son definitely won't eat something more than twice, so big batch cooking doesn't work for us.

One of the solutions that has worked really well lately is ordering meal box delivery services. Because you can order the number of portions that works for your family, you don't have to worry about a lot of leftovers (except maybe in my case since I find I eat about 1/2 to 2/3 of a portion, so I tend to have lunch the next day!). It means I don't have to worry about buying groceries except to have things in the house for snacks and lunches, or buying a whole container of something if I only need a little bit (and the rest going to waste).

Lately I've been ordering Goodfood a lot, because not only do they have a wide variety of good tasting recipes, but they also have recipes suited to various dietary programs. Every week I see calorie reduced recipes, keto friendly, paleo friendly, and organic meals- and they try to make the meals interesting but also family friendly. If you haven't had a look at them yet, you can order your first box absolutely free through my referral link! You'll get a box of 3 meals for 2 people, and if that size doesn't work for your family you can pay a small fee to upgrade to 2 meals for 4 people. And you can order a double meal, so taking the free box can get you one meal for 4 people and one meal for 2 people absolutely free. I'd definitely recommend giving them a try.

Here's one of the dinners we have had lately- quick, easy, and low glycemic so it doesn't spike your blood sugar!


Speedy Provencal Style Shrimp with Bulgur



450g Shrimp 
15ml Minced garlic 
240g Baby greens (baby spinach or kale) 
2 Sweet peppers 
160g Bulgur 
15ml Tomato paste 
30ml Vegetable or seafood demi-glace 
20g Mediterranean spice mix (paprika, garlic, salt, roasted garlic, black pepper, sun-dried tomato, tomato, red bell pepper, oregano, mustard, rosemary)


In a medium pot, combine the bulgur, 1.5 cups water, 1/2 the spices and a big pinch of salt; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer, 6 to 8 min., until the bulgur is tender and the water has been absorbed. Add 2 tbsp butter, fluff the bulgur and keep warm.

Meanwhile, core and medium-dice the sweet peppers. In a large, high-sided pan, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium-high. Add the sweet peppers and sauté, 2 to 3 min., until beginning to soften. Pat the shrimp dry and remove the shells from the tails if desired; season with the remaining spices. 

To the pan of sweet peppers, add the shrimp, garlic and tomato paste. Cook, stirring frequently, 2 to 4 min., until opaque and cooked through. Add the spinach, demi-glace, and 1/4 cup water. Cook, stirring frequently, 1 to 2 min., until the spinach has wilted. Divide the bulgur between four plates. Top with the shrimp and sauce. Enjoy!

This delicious meal has only 350 calories, 11g fat, 44g of low glycemic carbs, and 24g of protein. You can swap out the shrimp if you like for any other lean protein as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment