This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Friday, April 16, 2010

Non Scale Victories

I read this Daily Dose article a few days ago and it got me thinking. We all focus so obsessively on the scale that sometimes we don't even notice other things, I think. Or maybe I was just being obtuse. Despite the fact that the number on the scale has been steadily going down since I started Nutrisystem, I haven't really noticed any physical differences in myself. I still look fat. I still feel fat. Some days I wondered if the scale is lying to me and I hadn't really lost any weight at all.

Then I met a friend and we went out shopping for a wedding gift, and I noticed when I was sitting in his car that my pants were bagging around my waist. I hadn't even noticed it before but they were way too big! I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but my son is six months old and I had been afraid to try on my pre-pregnancy clothes. Today, after seeing how my clothes were fitting, I tried on my "fat" jeans. I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only did they fit, but I had room to stick my fists in the waistband! I think my weight has redistributed a little because they fit properly in the butt and thighs but are loose everywhere else. That's OK though- it's a start! It's exciting to be back in my old clothes.

I'm going to a wedding May 14 (the one I was out buying the gift for) and I am really hoping that I won't have to buy a new dress for just one day (since hopefully I'll never be this size again!). I have some lovely formalwear that I haven't worn in a while but I am not sure it will fit me anymore- I haven't worn it since before I got pregnant. That's the next non scale victory I am hoping for!

Please feel free to share your non scale victories with all of us! The number on the scale is important, but so is how we feel about ourselves, how our clothes fit, and how healthy we are- and those aren't things you can count with numbers.

1 comment:

  1. Fay says...

    Susie, I agree with you. Scales are wonderful to a point but since we are on this journey to change our relationship with food, I think we need to look to successes other than the scale.

    One of the first things I noticed after being on NS for about 2 weeks was that I felt physically better. Not skinnier or "lighter" but physically better. I had more energy in mid-afternoon and didn't want to go to bed; my head was clearer; I didn't feel stuffed or bloated and my stomach didn't hurt because I wasn't eating all that garbage. I think the low glycemic thing is working well for me. Also, I was already starting to grow out of my fat clothes and am now fitting in them a bit better.

    Small (yet large) steps to a healthy life.

    Go us!

    ReplyDelete