This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Plugging along...

I'm feeling a little better today. I know I just have to keep one foot in front of the other and I'll get there eventually. My husband says if I had taken a good Before picture that I'd be able to see the difference. That kind of scares me- how far did I let myself go? I guess you just don't really notice until it's too late. I can't undo the past; all I can do is continue what I'm doing because it's working! I mean, since February 1st, I've lost 40lbs (and I weigh in tomorrow!). I can't even imagine carrying that much extra weight. Maybe I still have a long way to go, but if I keep this up, I WILL reach my goal.

Everyone has a bad day once in a while. It's important to remember that you're not alone and you can get through it!

I tried a few new things recently with mixed reviews.


Chocolate Caramel Dessert Bar (Dessert):


This just really didn't do it for me. I guess when I think of caramel, I want something thick, rich, and gooey. It's probably not possible to make something like that diet friendly, so I'd rather just do without. This was more like a granola bar with chocolate drizzle and caramel flavour. I'll pass.


Egg Frittata (Breakfast):


I was kind of hoping the general word on this was wrong, because every once in a while it's nice to have a non-sweet breakfast (I'm not a big cereal fan, as you can probably tell from the lack of reviews in that area!). This just didn't really taste good. I did try making it into a breakfast burrito (extra carb serving) with cheese and hot sauce, but I found it less than satisfactory. I'd rather have a muffin or pastry and make a real egg on the side for a dairy/protein.


Trail Mix Bar (Lunch):


Oddly enough, I was expecting not to like this. I really don't know why. It was one of the items that I'd kind of stuck to the back of my cupboard and was delaying trying it (I'm sure we all have those!). To my surprise, I took a bite and really enjoyed it! There were big chunks of nuts and fruit and just enough chocolate for flavour. I think Nutrisystem has really outdone itself with the lunch bars- they are all fantastic.

Three Cheese Pasta with Chicken (Lunch):


I had this in the dinner version before (I just looked through my tags and I guess I didn't review it then) and wasn't crazy about it, so I wasn't expecting too much from the lunch one either but I felt I would give it a try. Again, I was surprised to find it tasty and filling. I added some more chopped chicken for protein and it was cheesy and enjoyable- I wished for more when I came to the end of my bowl. I will be ordering more of these in the future. I am not crazy overall about the selection of NS lunches so it's nice to have another option available.

Chocolate Chip Scone (Breakfast):


Back when I lived in a bigger city, I used to love going to the Great Canadian Bagel for breakfast (in the US you have the same chain with your country in the name). My favourite was a toasted chocolate chip bagel with cream cheese. It was like having dessert for breakfast! Well, that bagel alone had 383 calories, 5 grams of fat, and 76 carbs- before you even add the cream cheese. I was deciding what to have for breakfast this morning and I took another look at the chocolate chip scone and decided to give it a try.

Mmmm! I sliced it in half like I do when I'm making French toast and popped it in the toaster until it was toasted and melty, and then spread some Ultra Low Fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese on top. It definitely satisfied the bagel craving and for many fewer calories and more protein and fibre!

5 comments:

  1. Fay says...

    Glad to see someone else feels the same way about the frittata as I do. My daughter loves it with hot sauce but I would rather have real eggs too. I became an egg white junkie long before starting NS so it's all good. Scones are also my favorite breakfast. Thanks for the idea about toasting and schmearing.

    I emailed NS about their lunches. I live in the South and hot lunch and food bars just don't cut it for the summer - especially since the bars don't travel well. I'm sure the folks at NS could come up with additional cold lunch options. I love the tuna, the chicken salad tastes like glue to me, and I don't need their caesar stuff when I could have my own. The response I got was a list of the cold lunches they have, which I already identified in my email. Can't stand when a company doesn't address email content.

    Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously don't think you realize how much i love your blog! I just got so excited I went and added the chocolate scone to my next box! I have been craving bagels w/ cream cheese and am so excited I wish my scone was coming in tomorrow! You are so full of ideas to keep me going! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladiebug, so glad to hear you are enjoying my blog :) Welcome to Nutrisystem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! I feel that I am quite alone doing NS...no meetings! The customer service is wonderful...but those people work for NS. Thank you so much for opening your world to all of us, who are going through what you are. I am beginning my third week today. The food is good. I am losing consistently, but very slowly...but that's okay. Good luck throughout your venture and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the Nutrisystem family! You are definitely not alone- please feel free to participate here any time.

    ReplyDelete