This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Love the Loaded Potato!

I see so many comments on the Nutrisystem Facebook group about people who dislike the Loaded Potato. I can understand that the idea of having mashed potatoes for lunch sounds unappealing. After all, mashed potatoes sounds like a side dish, right? But if you let those creative juices start flowing, you'll realize that this entrée can be made into so many different meals! It's a great way to keep your meals changed up and keep things fresh.

The easiest way of all to eat these is to prepare as directed (although I still recommend using boiling water and then covering rather than preparing in the microwave!), and then just eat them as a side dish with your favourite Powerfuel. I often enjoy this with a 100 calorie piece of salmon (save your morning PF for this!), or 3oz of grilled chicken. Add a salad or some roasted vegetables, and your plate looks like a regular lunch.

Want to get a little fancier? Try my Baked Crab Florets or Crab Cakes. Want a picnic favourite? Have you tried making Potato Salad? Want a nice bowl of rich soup for lunch? Try my Clam Chowder or Creamy Potato Soup. If you're looking up recipes I've made with the Loaded Potato, don't forget to check my blog tags for the Cheesy Homestyle Potatoes, which was the previous name for a very similar entrée that Nutrisystem offered in the past.

And speaking of soup, I decided to do a second version of my Potato Leek Soup to bring the recipe up to date with the new Nutrisystem program requirements, since things have changed since 2011. It is so rich and full of flavour, and I think you'll find it a satisfying choice on a brisk fall day. It also makes a huge portion, so it will help keep the hungries away!

Potato Leek Soup (Lunch):



1 pkg Nutrisystem Loaded Potato
1 leek, chopped
2 cups no sodium chicken broth
pepper, garlic to taste
1/2 tbsp. bacon bits (optional)
1/2 tbsp. low fat shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

Spray a small pot with Pam spray, and sautee your leeks over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until they start to soften. If they start to stick to the pan, add a tiny bit of the chicken broth. Add the pepper and garlic. While you are cooking the leeks, prepare the Loaded Potato with boiling water and cover until it sets. When leeks are tender, add the chicken broth to the pan and turn the heat up to high. When the soup is bubbling, add the Loaded Potato and stir well to make it smooth and creamy.

Serve in a large bowl, as this is a generous portion! If desired, add the cheese and bacon bits as garnish.

This soup is so flavourful and delicious, quick and easy to make, and fits right into your Nutrisystem program. Count this entire large bowl as a Nutrisystem lunch entrée, 2 veggie servings, a free food (the broth), and if you use the cheese and bacon it would count as one extra total (the cheese is 14 calories, the bacon bits are 15 calories).

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment