This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

New foods and more tips and tricks!

I've been away for a few days visiting family so I haven't had as much time to be online as usual- still sticking to my program, though. I had my first major challenge this week. I went out to dinner with a friend, and I decided to eat my NS dinner before going out to reduce the possibility of temptation. I just ordered a big garden salad with fat free dressing. I was really proud of myself. Of course, my friend ordered a burger and fries and seemed to take perverse pleasure in trying to get me to eat some fries. Then after dinner, he tried to get me to split a dessert! It wasn't easy, but I didn't want to throw away everything I've done for something that would taste good for a few minutes and then be forgotten. If I got through that, I can get through anything!

Here are some of the new things I have tried.

Fudge Graham Bar (Lunch):


I really liked this! It smells exactly like a graham cracker and I liked the chocolate. I think this would be good with a little of Walden Farms calorie free marshmallow dip on top- it would taste exactly like a S'more. It was more chocolatey than fudge-y, which I like better anyway.


Macaroni and Cheese with Beef (Dinner):


Since I liked the regular Macaroni and Cheese, I figured I would like this and I was right. It tasted exactly like Hamburger Helper cheeseburger macaroni. Loved this- it definitely made me feel like I was cheating. There is absolutely nothing missing from the flavour. I think Kraft Dinner and Hamburger Helper could take a page from NS here.


Carrot Cake (Dessert):


This was pretty good. I wasn't impressed by the frosting, since I was expecting the usual cream cheese type. This didn't really make much of an impact on the flavour so as far as I was concerned, it was only there for appearance. The cake itself was very good though and I enjoyed it.


Meatloaf and Tomato Sauce with Mashed Potatoes (Dinner):


My question here is, where's the beef??? The box shows a nice thick slice of meat loaf, a pile of mashed potatoes, and dill pickle slices. The entree was almost entirely mashed potatoes with a couple of bites of meat loaf. Now, I like mashed potatoes as much as the next person (despite the unappealing look of the entree in the photo), but if I just wanted to eat potatoes, I'd have the lunch Cheesy Homestyle Potatoes. I was disappointed because this is one of my personal favourite comfort meals and I don't think it's going to be one of my go-tos. It was okay, but not what I wanted. And why would they put dill pickle slices on the box if they don't give you any? They haven't done that for any of the other meals.


Buffalo Chicken Wrap (Dinner):


Loved this! It is zesty with a kick, and I found it very filling. There is too much meat and sauce to fit on their wrap, though. For some reason they give you a wrap for this meal and not for the veggie fajitas. I also thought it was a little odd that the wrap tasted slightly sweet but it was OK. I added some onions, bell pepper, lettuce, and tomatoes after taking the photo and it was a really yummy meal.


Here are a few things I've tried with the NS meals to jazz them up a bit.

Granola Cereal (Breakfast):


I turned it into apple crisp and it was fantastic! Chop up your apples and stir them up with cinnamon and a little brown sugar Splenda, and a little sugarfree maple syrup if you like. Top them with the granola cereal and 1 tsp of butter (yes, I am stealing your dinner fat serving but it's worth it!). The butter will melt in the oven so it doesn't need to be stirred or anything. Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy! You can also make this the night before and just microwave it in the morning- it tastes just fine.


Cheesy Homestyle Potatoes (Lunch):


I got the idea from the Nutrisystem boards to make potato salad! First prepare the potatoes as directed. Then I hardboiled an egg and diced onions and celery, then stirred in a little mustard. This was incredibly filling and yummy. At first I didn't add enough mustard so the cheesy flavour was a little odd for potato salad, but I just added a bit more and it was fine. I really enjoyed this. Add whatever things you'd normally add to potato salad (except mayo but you don't need it) and try it out! You can eat this warm or refrigerate it and have it cold like regular potato salad.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to totally try making the potato salad for my first nutrisystem lunch today! I am not at all a fan of the potato salad with mayo or even huge chunks but I have had cheesey potato salad and loved it so this should be high up tehre in my book!

    ReplyDelete