This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lovin' Those Desserts

I've always had a serious sweet tooth. Carbs have consistently been my biggest vice, and I struggled with other weight loss programs because they are usually so strictly limited. Nutrisystem is the first program I've tried where I can have carbs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner- and even have a sweet treat for dessert! So far, I have found the desserts to be consistently good, and having one every day has really helped to cut down on my cravings. I'm in my sixth week on Nutrisystem and I still haven't cheated, nor have I really felt the urge to. I do look forward to my dessert every night, though!

Here are a few more of the new foods I've tried.

Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies (Dessert):


When I ordered these, I figured they'd be like all the other cookies and just be one cookie. I was surprised to see that you actually get 8 small cookies. When I put them on the plate, they looked exactly like those old McDonalds chocolate chip cookies (anyone else remember those?). I took a bite of one, and they had the same crispy texture that I remembered, as opposed to the chewy texture of the larger cookies. The walnuts were plentiful. I really liked having a bunch of small cookies because it made dessert last longer.


Pasta Fagioli (Dinner):


I didn't realize when I ordered (silly me) that pasta fagioli means pasta with beans. I ate it and it was good, but there are so many pasta dishes that I like much more that I probably won't be ordering this again. There was nothing wrong with it and I would eat it again, but it's not one of my favourites.


Chocolate Raspberry Bar (Lunch):


My first reaction when I bit into this was that it just tasted a little weird. I was expecting something of the order of a chocolate covered granola bar with raspberry sauce on it, something like the Blueberry Lemon dessert bar. This was actually just a chocolate granola bar with raspberry flavour. It didn't taste like real raspberry to me. I did finish eating it because it wasn't that horrible, but if I have to have a lunch bar so far I prefer the Chocolatey Peanut Butter Bar, although I still have a few more to try.

Sourdough Pizza with Cheese (Dinner):


I wanted to try and compare this to the Thick Crust Pizza- too bad I can't make half of each and try them side by side. This pizza comes in a square instead of a circle, and the crust definitely has a different flavour. It's denser and tastes more bread-y as opposed to the crispier crust of the Thick Crust Pizza. I'm not sure yet which one I like better. I think I'll need to eat at least one more Sourdough Pizza before I make up my mind. I topped this with their tomato sauce, chicken breast strips, onions, tomatoes, and green bell peppers. Very filling and satisfying.

Cinnamon Bun (Breakfast):


I was delighted to see frosting when I opened the package! I haven't had cinnamon buns in ages because they are SO bad for you (have you checked the stats for Cinnabon lately? It's sick!), so when I saw them on the Nutrisystem menu I was so excited. My first bite did not live up to the excitement though. It was incredibly dense and hard to bite into. Then I remembered a post from the Nutrisystem boards suggesting that you heat these up in the microwave. Wow- what a difference! The icing got all gooey and melty like Cinnabons, and it became a warm cinnamony treat. Definitely on my reorder list. I did note that it was awfully small so I was wondering if I'd be hungry faster, but it has tons of fiber in it and I was fine until lunchtime.


I think a good rule with a lot of these foods is to try them twice. Sometimes the things you don't like at first may become things you do enjoy more later on. I'm hoping the Tomato Soup will be better with a second look, and maybe I'll decide I like the Chocolate Raspberry Bar after all. On the Nutrisystem boards, a few members posted about hating something the first time they tried it, and then it eventually became one of their favourite meals. Especially if you are just starting your Nutrisystem program, your taste buds are still acclimated to foods with tons of calories and fat, so you may need to adjust a little before you get used to eating a healthy, balanced diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment