This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Yum!

I've really been enjoying trying all the new US foods. I still have quite a few left to sample and I'm looking forward to it. Variety is definitely the spice of life in this case- there are enough things I enjoy that I can see myself sticking to this program for as long as it takes to lose the weight. For the first time in my life, my weight doesn't seem like an insurmountable issue anymore- I know I can do it!

Here are some of the new foods that I have tried.

Chocolate Rainbow Delights (Dessert):


These came free in my order. I wasn't too sure what to expect from the name but they were basically M&Ms. I like the desserts that have more smaller items because it takes longer to eat them, so you get to enjoy them for longer.

However, I didn't just eat them plain! I saw a great idea on the Nutrisystem boards to jazz them up. Mix one cup of popcorn (a free food), some nuts (I chose almonds, my fat serving), dried fruit (I like apples, make sure there is no sugar added!), and the Chocolate Rainbow Delights for a yummy snack mix. It was a great choice for sitting in front of the TV and having some munchies. This is definitely on my reorder list.




Turkey Hot Dog (Lunch):


This was again, a freebie. I hadn't planned on ordering any because I've been eating veggie dogs occasionally as my protein serving so I haven't been feeling hot dog-deprived. The first thing I noticed when I opened the package was the smell. It smelled like bad cat food, honestly. After I followed the directions and microwaved it, it still smelled gross but I decided to give it a try with a whole wheat bun that you are supposed to add. I made a veggie dog at the same time for comparison. The texture of the NS hot dog was just right- it felt like a real hot dog when I was chewing it. I really couldn't get past the smell though so I won't be ordering it again. My veggie dog was thicker and denser (and thus, less hot dog-like than the NS dog) but it doesn't stink and it still tastes yummy with ketchup and relish, plus I can have it and a meal, so why waste my meal on a hot dog?


Strawberry Shortcake Bar (Dessert):


I was excited to try this because I adore strawberry shortcake. I was very disappointed by NS's take on it, though. The strawberry part was like one of those chewy Fruit To Go candies, very stiff, sticky, and synthetic strawberry-tasting. I know there was more to the bar underneath it, but I couldn't taste it because it was overwhelmed by the chewy strawberry part. The bar was so stiff it was difficult to chew as well. Maybe I just got a stale one? I don't know. I don't plan to order this again though. There are so many desserts I love that I don't see the point in wasting time on one that was just "meh" or worse.


Sloppy Joe Mix (Dinner):


I really enjoyed this! The sauce was somehow sweet and zesty at the same time, and it was full of meat chunks. There was far too much to eat with the whole wheat bun you are supposed to add, so I ate a lot of it plain. It was still good. I am considering using pasta to make spaghetti bolognese next time instead of the bun- I think it would be really delicious that way.


Chocolate Chip Cookie (Dessert):


This cookie was soft and cake-y. It was good, but basically just a soft chocolate chip cookie. Not too much to say about it. It was very light and not overly sweet. I was thinking it wasn't going to be one of my favourite desserts, but I did find myself wishing for another bite once it was finished.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying your blog! I had the cookie last week and I nuked it in the microwave for about 10 seconds or so and it softened it up. It was pretty good. I love your idea for the m and m snack mix- I will definitely do that.

    ReplyDelete