This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, May 22, 2023

Week 28 Weigh In

So while it normally isn't as bad as it has been this week, my hormones have just been all over the place. It's honestly felt like being a teenager with the emotional ups and downs, which is not pleasant when you are 40 and know better!

I had actually weighed in on Saturday as well since that's the weigh in day for my HealthyWager, and I was actually down a pound from last Monday, so that means I'm up 3lbs since Saturday, which is pretty crazy but also very obviously it's a hormonal gain and nothing to worry about. Is it a little bit of a bummer? Heck yes, especially since I'm still experiencing those aforementioned hormones. I'm battling all those familiar shameful feelings as well as frustration that my body won't do what it should be doing.

Except that it is. Weight loss isn't linear, and it's perfectly normal to gain during hormonal fluctuations, and I just have to remind myself of that and keep doing what I'm doing. It's been over six months and I haven't plateaued which is beyond fantastic. I'd almost rather a gain than a plateau because it's a sign that things are still moving around.

So I'm here, being real. When you gain, it's OK to be disappointed, but it's important to remember that it's probably not something you did, and as long as you're trending in the right direction, just keep doing what you're doing and that gain will melt off soon enough. And again, we don't want to lose too quickly because not only is your body more likely to cannibalize muscle when too much comes off at once, but you don't want to lose your hair or have a gallbladder attack. It's not the medication causing muscle loss (if you don't read the full article), it's the speed of the loss. Since women approaching menopause already have issues with losing muscle tissue, the last thing I need at this point is to lose more of it!

Speaking of which, I think I'm going to lift some weights today- that might help me feel a little better or at least work out some of my frustrations!

I've still been experiencing intermittent nausea, so I'm not sure if I plan to raise my dose tonight or not. The jury's still out on that one. I am glad I chose this path though to keep my dose as low as possible as long as the medication is working and I feel it is being effective. Not only will it give me lots of room to raise my dose later when I do inevitably plateau at some point, but I believe it has helped reduce the duration and severity of my side effects. I think if I had followed the standard dose progression, it would have been too hard on my body and I probably would have had to stop taking Ozempic. I had mild side effects at 0.25mg but that week where I raised to 0.50mg was really bad, and it took several weeks for the side effects to dial back even though I had lowered my dose the following week. I can only imagine how difficult it would have been if I was still fighting the side effects at 0.5mg and would have been expected to increase to 1mg in another four weeks from there. That doesn't leave a lot of room to keep increasing right at the time my weight loss will be slowing down because I'll have less to lose.

The trend is still going the right away...still losing a solid 1.67lbs per week on average, gain or no gain. So I'm just going to try and feel the feelings and let them go, and keep doing what I'm doing.

Hope you all are having a great Victoria Day!


Start Date: November 7, 2022  0.25mg
OZ Week 1 loss: 3.4lbs
OZ Week 2 loss: 2.2 lbs
OZ Week 3 gain: 2.0lbs
OZ Week 4 loss: 4.4lbs
OZ Week 5 loss: 1.4lbs
OZ Week 6 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 7: skipped weigh in  0.39mg (used "bonus bit" in the pen)
OZ Week 8 gain: 4.4lbs  back to 0.25mg (started exercising seriously)
OZ Week 9 loss: 6.6lbs
OZ Week 10 loss: 2.0lbs
OZ Week 11 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 12 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 13 loss: 2.6lbs
OZ Week 14 loss: 1.6lbs
OZ Week 15 loss: 0.4lbs (took booster dose halfway through the week, so 0.25mg + 0.33mg)
OZ Week 16 loss: 4lbs  raised dose to 0.38mg
OZ Week 17 loss: 0.6lbs
OZ Week 18 loss: 5.6lbs
OZ Week 19 gain: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 20 loss: 2.6lbs
OZ Week 21 loss: 2.0lbs raised dose to 0.40mg
OZ Week 22 loss: 2.8lbs raised dose to 0.42mg
OZ Week 23 loss: 0.6lbs raised dose to 0.44mg
OZ Week 24 loss: 1.4lbs
OZ Week 25 loss: 3.4lbs
OZ Week 26 gain: 1.0lbs
OZ Week 27 loss: 3.8lbs
OZ Week 28 gain: 2.0lbs

Total loss on Ozempic so far: 46.8lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment