This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Friday, July 23, 2010

Feeling more positive

Lately I've been feeling a little better about my weight loss. I think the 50lb marker was big for me even though it doesn't have any real significance. It sure sounds like a lot of weight, doesn't it?

I have some new entrees to review but I just haven't gotten around to eating them yet. I'm a little nervous to try things that I'm not sure I'll like, so they just sit in my cupboard. Just watch- they'll end up being some of my favourite meals I bet and I'll regret having waited this long, just like the Trail Mix Bar!


Chicken with Almonds, Rice, and Vegetables (Dinner):


This is a discontinued dinner I managed to snag on eBay. They're frequently in big lots and the last thing I want to do is buy a lot of very likely expired meals (since they have discontinued ones, they're probably all old). There are a few more I'd like to review but I just can't seem to get my hands on them. If my readers happen to have any discontinued meals that you haven't seen me review, I'd be happy to buy one of each from you just so I can write it up here.

I actually really liked this meal. It looks quite unappetizing (very gray) so I poured it over a bowl of colourful stir fry veggies. The almond slivers gave it a satisfying crunch and the sauce was yummy. If this was still on the menu, I'd have it on my reorder list.


Red Beans & Rice with Sausage (lunch):


I decided to make something similar but slightly different than the gumbo I made last time- it was yummy but a little too soupy for me. I wanted to make it more casserole like this time, and give it a little more kick.

1 pkg NS Red Beans & Rice with Sausage
1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup Aylmer Accents Spicy Red Pepper Tomatoes
1/2 small green pepper, diced
2 green onions, diced

That's it- so simple and so delicious. I love the Aylmer Accents- they are so flavourful! These really had a zesty kick to them so if you don't like spice, then choose another flavour. I didn't need any other seasonings in the meal- it was delicious just the way it was. I just mixed everything together in a pot and let it simmer for ten minutes before eating. Yum!


Flex Meals (Breakfast):


This is an old classic meal I'm sure you ate all the time before starting program, and didn't consider that you could still have it on Nutrisystem!


Cherry French Toast:

2 slices low calorie whole wheat bread
1/2 cup Egg Beaters (or 1 egg + some fat free milk- one isn't quite enough)
sugarfree syrup or your favourite fruit topping

Dip the bread in the egg mixture and pan fry until crispy and brown. Top with sugarfree syrup and maybe a little squirt of whipped cream. This counts as an entree, so you still add fruit and dairy!


Caramel Popcorn (Dessert):


OK, I'll say it. Nutrisystem, you were absolutely insane to discontinue this item. I figured it must be good when 3 years after discontinuation it was still selling for $5-$7 PER PACKAGE on eBay, but I didn't imagine that it would be delicious even long after it should be stale. Was it a little soggy? Yeah, but I still liked it! And it's only 100 calories, people!

I actually wound up dividing it in half and opening a pack of Chocolate Rainbow Delights and using half of that to make my trail mix. The Caramel Popcorn was a really nice addition. Too bad I only have 2 packs left and I'm not going to try hunting it down at the rates it goes for. Apparently Nutrisystem is introducing a new popcorn item this fall which I am looking forward to trying.


Harvest Nut Bar (Breakfast):


I was really expecting not to like this. It's just as small as the Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bar (which is pretty darn small) but has that gooey look of the ultra-sweet Apple Strudel bar. I took a bite, though, and it was very reminiscent of the trail mix bar. I loved the big chunks of nuts. I am not sure how frequently I'll order this because I really am a pastry kind of gal, but it's not something I'm going to avoid if I find another one in my cupboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment