This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Experiences with cereal...

Well, I haven't been looking forward to trying Nutrisystem's cereal to say the least, but I am hoping to eventually review every item they sell and as many discontinued ones as I can find. It's not that I thought their cereal would be bad, it's just that I don't like any cereal at all so why would I like "diet" cereal?

Nutriflakes (Breakfast):


It's hard for me to give this an honest review. I'm sure they were just regular bran flakes. I didn't care for them much at all, as expected. I'm sure some people love them though.


Crispy Rice Cereal (Breakfast):


Now this was more fun! For quite some time, I've been brainstorming what to do with it. Of course, actually eating it was never an option I considered! First I thought I'd try making a rice krispie square. Unfortunately, I found out that the amount of marshmallows that I could use for a free food was simply not enough to cover all the cereal. I suppose you could make a small one and eat the rest of the cereal with milk or yogurt but that wasn't really what I wanted.

Then I thought of another versatile food- the Nutrichocolates! Would there be enough melted chocolate to do something with the Crispy Rice Cereal? I decided to give it a try and there was! I also mixed in dried cranberries and almonds to make something like a chocolate cereal bar. Of course, since you are using two Nutrisystem items, this becomes two servings but it is still very large- much bigger than their normal granola bars (the picture is ONE serving- the other half is still in the fridge)! I poured the cereal mixture into silicone loaf pans and let it set in the freezer for fifteen minutes and then it was ready to pop out and eat. This counts as a breakfast or dessert entree plus whatever add ins you use- here it would be a fat serving and a fruit serving. Oh, and don't forget you can have an additional half dairy serving at some point during the day to replace the milk you didn't have with the cereal!

I wonder if this would work with the lowfat granola cereal as well if I crushed it? Something I'll have to try another day- I need more Nutrichocolates!

No comments:

Post a Comment