This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tomato Lovers!

We used to eat pasta and things with tomato sauce at least twice a week, which helped contribute to me looking the way I do! It's so easy to overeat on pasta because it's shockingly high in calories, even when you choose whole wheat. The box says a "serving" is over 300 calories, and that's before you add meat, cheese, and whatever else you like! I am looking forward to getting my hands on some Fiber Gourmet pasta, which is lower in calories and carbs than regular pasta. That way I can have a little more flexibility with my pasta meals.

The modifications I made in today's recipes are very simple but they tasted so much better than simply eating the entree alone!

Chili with Beans (Dinner):


OK, who doesn't love a good chili dog? I just heated up the chili like normal in the microwave, and then cooked a veggie dog and placed it in a whole wheat roll. Top with the chili and 1/2 serving of cheese, maybe some onions and whatever else you like on a chili dog, and enjoy! You'll still have chili left over to eat from the bowl as well.


Cheese Tortellini (Lunch):


I saw this modification on the Nutrisystem boards and decided to give it a try because I'm finding that I don't enjoy the Cheese Tortellini nearly as much as I used to. On the limited Canadian menu, it was great. Now I have lots of things to choose from that I enjoy so this has dropped way down my list.

Cheesy Pepperoni Bake
1 pkg NS Cheese Tortellini
1/2 cup no salt added diced tomatoes
1/2 serving turkey pepperoni
1/2 serving shredded cheese
chopped onions and whatever other veggies you like
basil, oregano, garlic, and black pepper to taste

Pour the tomatoes into a glass baking dish and add the tortellini and stir to blend. Add the spices and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove dish from oven, add chopped pepperoni and stir, top with shredded cheese, and bake for another 10 minutes.

This was infinitely better than just eating the tortellini out of the can. It's still not my favourite lunch but now I can find it more palatable.

Lasagna with Meat Sauce (Dinner):


My husband requested I make him lasagna for dinner, and after looking at the pan I made for him the "old way", dripping with meat and cheese and sauce, I decided to try and perk up my sad little tray of lasagna a little bit.

I took a glass baking dish and added 1/4 cup of no salt added tomato sauce (counts as a veggie serving without the sodium), and chopped up onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers. I topped the veggies with 1 tbsp low fat ricotta cheese (free food). I opened the lasagna and chopped it up, and put half on top. I then added 1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese (1/2 protein) and spread it around. I added the remaining lasagna pieces and sauce from the tray and topped with 1/2 oz shredded mozzerella cheese (1/2 protein).

It was SO filling and while it didn't have that heavy pasta taste that I do still miss, I really enjoyed it and I'm so stuffed that I couldn't eat another bite. It was definitely an improvement on just heating the little tray!

No comments:

Post a Comment