This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, July 12, 2010

Snack Ideas

Snacks are often the hardest thing that I have to come up with. I usually get bored and end up eating the same old string cheese or yogurt with some fruit.

When I went to the US a few weeks ago on my road trip, I stopped in a Walmart and was looking for something to eat with my lunch bar. I was pleasantly surprised to see these little kits for $2 that included whole grain crackers, turkey slices, and low fat herb and garlic cream cheese (just don't eat the mini Toblerone that comes with it!). I bought several of them and ate one a day and they were absolutely delicious! They don't sell kits like that here, but I figured I could make them myself for a tasty and filling snack.

Herbed Turkey & Cheese Crackers:


I bought Philadelphia Ultra Low Fat Herb & Garlic cream cheese and fat free turkey deli slices. You can call the cream cheese a free food or put that and the turkey together to count as a dairy/protein serving as long as it's below 100 calories (it'll definitely be more than 7g of protein). I like to use Breton Multigrain crackers with this- 3 crackers is a lot and it fits into the requirements for a carb serving. If you don't get extra carbs, you can choose a lunch or dinner that gets one and skip it then. And you still get your fruit serving with this! The dieticians do say that once in a while, you can substitute a carb serving for a fruit serving, so you can choose to do that occasionally as well as long as you don't make a habit of it.

This is more the kind of thing I'd eat for a snack before starting Nutrisystem, so I found it psychologically much more satisfying than what I've been eating lately.


Chocolate Cake (Dessert):


I tried an easy twist on the chocolate cake. I chopped up a fruit serving worth of fresh strawberries and diced the cake into little pieces and put it on top. Then I added 4 tbsp of whipped cream (free food) and it was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment