This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, July 19, 2010

Two for two!

I tried two new ideas today and both of them were yummy!

Pancake Mix (Breakfast):


As you can probably tell from my blog, I love making healthy versions of fast food. I love things that taste like they're awful for me and it makes me happier to know they are not. So without further ado- the McDonalds McGriddle.

McGriddle Breakfast Sandwich:

1 pkg Nutrisystem Pancake Mix
4 tbsp fat free milk
1 tbsp sugarfree maple syrup
1 egg
1 slice fat free cheese
2 slices chicken bacon (I prefer this to turkey bacon- it crisps better and has more flavour)

First, prepare the pancake mix as directed on the package. I actually added the syrup first and then added the milk 1 tbsp at a time because I wanted the pancakes to be a little thicker than usual so that they would be nice and puffy for the sandwich. Definitely don't overdo the milk! Set the pancakes aside and cook your egg and bacon (or sausage). Then assemble your sandwich and enjoy! It's incredibly filling and delicious, and the syrup taste in the pancakes makes it just like Mickey D's.


Flex Meals (Lunch):


This recipe is a modification of a yummy pasta salad my father always made for BBQs. I loved it and I'm so happy I can still have it while following Nutrisystem! This counts as a flex lunch + veggies.

Seafood Pasta Salad:

1 serving of small sized pasta (80 calories, 15g of carbs)
2 oz imitation lobster meat (or real if you can get it!)
1 oz baby shrimp
2 tbsp fat free Kraft Zesty Italian dressing
1/4 cup no sodium niblet corn
diced red pepper, green pepper, red onion, green onion, and tomatoes

Prepare your pasta, rinse and pour into a Tupperware. Add all the other ingredients, cover, and shake until the dressing is evenly spread. Pour into a bowl and enjoy!

Yes- corn normally does count as a carb. However, the Nutrisystem dieticians have said that occasionally you can count 1 serving of a starchy veggie as 2 veggies. For this salad, you really only need half a serving so it counts as one veggie, plus the other ones in the salad. The stats for one serving are: 223 calories, 39g of carbs, 2g of fat, and 15g of protein.

4 comments:

  1. You're just a delight. Thanks so much for all your creative ideas...I definitely will spend some time here and spruce up my meals ... wishing you continued success on your journey. Hey, do I see a book in your future? Keep me updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you- it's kind of you to say that! At this time I have no plans for a book, but who knows? Maybe when I'm finished losing all this weight.

    I'm glad you're enjoying my recipes- please let me know how you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can i ask where you get the pancake mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it has been discontinued. I recommend substituting any kind of protein pancake mix that would fit the NS requirements. Right now I'm using Flapjacked pancake mix and it's not quite the same but still pretty good.

      Delete